Phsyc Eval has me on hold

jaesueray
on 1/14/13 7:52 pm
RNY on 09/04/13

I am so disappointed. My psychological evalualtor  says he will likely put me on hold until i get 8-12 counseling sessions.

He says i need to develop coping skills and that as i go through the surgery and weight loss things often come up from the past that may need looking at.

Needless to say i am almost sorry i was so honest. But i know he is only trying to help me.

Anyone have this happen and have any thoughts for me?

artroxy blue
on 1/14/13 8:11 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I wasn't in that situation, but I had seen a psychologist a few years before surgery for 8 months--every week. I had a lot to sort out, and honestly, it did me good to talk to someone not in my inner circle. Also, the psychologist helped me re-frame my thought processes, and helped me through small, sustainable changes. 

It sounds like you might benefit from at least some counseling, so I'd take advantage of it. It will help you in the long run, and make surgery a smoother process. Good luck! 

robyn_fresh
on 1/14/13 9:33 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

So sorry, but maybe it will end up helping you. I was terrified that this may happen to me because I had a very rocky childhood (to say the least). So, I treated the psych evaluation like a court interview giving the minimum information at all times.

RebeccaElise
on 1/14/13 9:58 pm - Quincy, MA

It happened to me. I was on a hold for 2 years mainly because they didn't know what to make of my existing psych diagnosis and were hesitant to approve me because of that. It took quite a lot of convincing. I often regretted being so honest in that 2 year period, but I spent the time in intensive counseling (which I would have done anyway, but it made the surgeon's team feel better) and it definitely gave me plenty of time to prepare.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

MrsLitch
on 1/14/13 10:19 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Be very glad you were so honest! It may hold you up a bit but you will go in so much more prepared to be successful. Mine passed me and I chose to go to a therapist prior to and after the surgery. The surgery can be a head trip at times and I'm so glad I chose to go.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Jilly Bean
on 1/14/13 10:58 pm, edited 1/15/13 12:17 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I just told them what I knew they wanted to hear.  I use that on most people then do whatever the hell I want to anyway.  It saves time.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Bratlyn98
on 1/14/13 11:24 pm - VA
RNY on 12/19/12
Lol that's exactly how I did mine too! Lol

Surgery Date: RNY: 12/19/12

Weight in: 221 lbs

Starting weight: 235 lbs

FattytoHottie
on 1/14/13 11:16 pm - Bellevue, OH

Same thing happened to me. At the time you feel like you are being punished for doing the right thing and being honest, but let me tell you... you did the right thing. It really isn't a bad idea to see someone just to make sure you have everything squared away before surgery. So many strange little things pop up during the course of the journey (and I've only just begun) that you had no idea would be an issue. It's just as much a mental challenge as anything else, and knowing how to deal with it is key to success!

Lindah55
on 1/14/13 11:58 pm - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

Sorry for your set back. But I would take advantage of the counseling sessions. I have been in counseling for years. It is nice to be honest with someone and not be judged for it. Just think of each session as being one step closer to your goal of WLS. Good luck!

ToNewBeginnings
on 1/15/13 12:32 am

I can understand you disappointment and I'm sorry.

I'm 2.4 years out from surgery and this process takes a lot of work. The surgery gives us a great head start with rapid weight loss but after a year or so our success is kind of up to us and the work we continue to put into it. Our insides have been helped but not what is bothering us in our head.

You know, this may end up being a good thing. You can develop more tools to help you be really successful and remain a success!

I wish you the best

Most Active
Recent Topics