Gummy vitamin

Shelle112
on 1/16/13 6:21 am - PA

Just saw a vitamin post.....I wasn't aware that gummy vitamins aren't good? Can someone explain what they are missing? The ones I just bought seemed pretty complete. However I take separate iron, calcium with d, zinc, and b12.

poet_kelly
on 1/16/13 6:24 am - OH

It depends on the brand.  They don't all have the exact same ingredients.  Most are missing vitamin K, some of the B vitamins, copper, zinc, selenium, magnesium, manganese, and potassium.  What brand did you buy?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Shelle112
on 1/16/13 7:49 am - PA

Hi!

They are vitaFusion

Women's Complete Multivitamin Formula.

poet_kelly
on 1/16/13 8:38 am - OH

OK, then read the label.  Does it have thiamine (B1)?  Riboflavin (B2)?  Niacin (B3)?  B6?  Vitamin K?  Copper? zinc?  Selenium?  Potassium?  Magnesium?  Manganese?  You tell me what it's missing.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AnnaFrahm
on 1/16/13 8:19 am - MN

Talked to my nurse today.  It isn't that they don't necessarily have everything, but they are absorbed differently and don't go down as easily as chewable that you can chew into a powder before swallowing.

poet_kelly
on 1/16/13 8:36 am - OH

But they DON"T have everything.  They don't have many, many important things.

chickzero1
on 1/16/13 8:44 am - Bossier City, LA

Kelly, what vitamin do you recommend that gives you what you need? Also what calcium supplement? I have the calcium chewables and a multi vitamin from Celebrate Vitamins. I just had my first labs (3 months out) 2 weeks ago and my Dr. said everything came back fine but did not go over the specifics of the levels..just said everything looked great. A friend mentioned that I needed to be taking something else other than the multi vitamin. I cannot recall what it was exactly. She had RNY as well but has always struggled with her vitamins so I am not sure I should be listening to her! LOL...anywho any opinions on vitamins? 

poet_kelly
on 1/16/13 8:51 am - OH

Celebrate is fine.  So is the Bariatric Advantage multi, or Building Blocks, or Centrum, or a generic equivalent of Centrum (I use the Meijer store brand).

Any calcium citrate supplement is fine.  Celebrate, BA, Citracal (as long as it's the pills you swallow - the Citracal gummies are tricalcium phosphate and we can't absorb that), Upcal D, a generic.

You should also be taking iron and B12 and probably D3.

chickzero1
on 1/16/13 8:52 am - Bossier City, LA

I never noticed there was not iron in the Celebrate vitamin! Yikes!! 

SharonR34
on 1/16/13 10:02 am - Jacksonville, FL

I agree with Kelly, for the multivitamin I take Centrum chewable, calcium Citracal, and for iron I do Feosol it's a carbonyl iron easier for me to digest

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 209 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 279 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 209 views