Predicting Reactive Hypoglycemia after RNY?

VSG on 06/12/13

So I have been reading up on this and I was looking - but haven't found - info on whether they can predict who is more prone to RH post op. Many accounts I have read seem to indicate that people are are aware that they (can) have it, but manage it well through diet and good eating. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard if people who are diabetic or hypoglycemic or whatever pre op are more likely to have it post op. Are there any patterns or is it more like "you have RNY so you will have this" scenario?

Thanks!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

poet_kelly
on 1/17/13 1:52 am - OH

Not that I know of.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/13 1:57 am
RNY on 08/31/12

I might have it. Seeing the surgeon today. Weird thing is that I've had some symptoms for over 10 years at least but have ignored them. Thought it was because I ate too much at a meal time and that I was heavy and getting older. 

xtine
on 1/17/13 2:13 am - San Jose, CA
I haven't been formally diagnosed with RH but I have diagnosed myself recently. I was previously type 2 diabetic with my diabetes in remission. My last a1c was 5.6 so I guess it's possible that it can be common in diabetics in remission after RNY. Not sure though because I have known people who weren't previously diabetic who suffer from RH after RNY as well.

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

Scoobydoo061423
on 1/17/13 7:04 am - OH
RNY on 11/12/12 with

I just told I have RH. I was hypoglycemic before surgery, but didn't have it for about two months after surgery. Then just got it. I don't know if there is a reason for it

Reach for the moon, if you fail at least you will lay among the stars.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/17/13 7:52 am - OH

According to my surgeon there is no way to predict who will have RH or who will dump or who will develop a stricture.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics