How much vitamin D3 & B-12?

solise
on 1/20/13 3:39 am - Brooklyn, NY
Ive started to feel really weak and shaky and its my own fault. I had stopped taking my vitamins....all of it.
Now im tryna get my body back on track and I would like to know how much vitamin D3-5,000 IU and how much sublingual B-12. 2500mcg do I need?

I think my protein levels are just as poor so im working on upping those too.
Dee.spunk
on 1/20/13 4:10 am - Sacramento, CA
I take 4,000 iu daily of D3 and 1,000 mg of sublingual B12 daily.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Annyka
on 1/20/13 4:28 am - Pfafftown, NC

How much you need is entirely dependent on your blood work levels. Ask your doctor if you can be tested.

The "standard" dosing of sublingual B12 on my program is 1000 - as with these from Celebrate . We were not advised to take D-3 specifically on it's own (outside of a multi) unless levels indicated a need. Mine did, I'm on 2000 IU a day.

Please be tested, that's the only way to know what your body really needs.

poet_kelly
on 1/20/13 4:35 am - OH

If you haven't been taking vitamins, you need to get your labs done to find out how much of those things, and others, you need.

The ASMBS recommends 500 mcg B12 daily, so you'd take that 2500 mcg every five days, but if you haven't been taking it, you're probably deficient and need more to catch up, but there's no way to know how much without knowing your level.

Most post ops need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day to maintain a good vitamin D level (at least 80) but some need more.  I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week to keep my level around 100.  But again, you need your level to figure it out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

solise
on 1/20/13 4:44 am - Brooklyn, NY
Wow, looks like Im going to have to make an appt to get my labs done. Thanks for the help.
jzwife
on 1/20/13 5:10 am

I made the mistake of thinking that because I have a fistula and food was going into my pouch and stomach that I wouldn't have very many problems with vitamin deficiencies . My vitamin D level was at 18 at one point. I am now taking as much as 25,000 mcg  a day to get my levels back up. Still not there yet but it is coming back so please stay on top of your labs and follow the advice that was given to you above. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 164 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics