Newbie question

smyrnagirl
on 1/22/13 8:23 am - GA
RNY on 01/17/13

Hi all,

I am 5 days post-op from my RNY.  I am doing really well, no pain at all and each day I am slowly increasing liquids and proteins.  I am already sick of the protein drinks, so i want to make some grits and i thought i would cook them with chicken broth.  Does any one see a problem with this?  Also, is it too early for salt and pepper?

Second question, sometimes I dont know if what i feel is full or not.  Its a funny sensation in my tummy, but not full.  Just wanted some thoughts from those of you who are ahead of me.

Thanks,

On the journey to weightloss...one babystep at a time

Mendie Thompson
on 1/22/13 8:41 am - TX
RNY on 09/24/12

Broth was ok for me to drink, so I would image it is ok to cook with it as long as its on your ok list.  As far as the "full" feeling, I am 4 months out and really have only started "feeling" full slowly over the last month.  At 5 days, your pouch probably won't "feel" yet, so you should always measure, and watch for other full signs.  My sign, as I responded in another post earlier, is a kind of hiccup/burp thing when I swallow something.  That's when I know that should be my last bite.

Lisa T.
on 1/22/13 8:44 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12
What does your surgeon's plan list as appropriate foods for this stage? If grits are on the list- go for it. If not, pick something else. At 5 days out I ate runny cream of wheat and thought it was pretty tasty. Variety is on the horizon be sure not to rush the journey!

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

smyrnagirl
on 1/22/13 8:46 am - GA
RNY on 01/17/13

Thanks Mendie, i get that burpy hiccupy feeling too, i just didnt realize that is what it was.. This is the best forum.  I am so grateful it is here for all of us.

LN040768
on 1/22/13 9:13 am - Fairless Hills, PA

i am in the same boat... i am 7 days out and my schedule is week 1 clear liquids, week 2 and 3 full liquids, week 4 puree, and week 5 reg foods.

i am only 7 days out and i am ready to go to puree. i feel wonderful. i am going to call my md at the end of this week before i start my 2nd week of full liquids and ask if i can go to puree. they said if i fell i want to move on, to call them first.

the full liquids just arent doing it for me. i feel lik i am ready to move on

Ellen

Pre Op weight  - 230 (heaviest weight)

Surgery weight - 217

Goal weight - 120

smyrnagirl
on 1/22/13 10:14 am - GA
RNY on 01/17/13

That's great I am glad you are doing so well. I am on 2 weeks full liquids, then a month soft foods, I don't have to do puréed.  Did you lose 25 lbs in on week? I weighed yesterday and had lost two lbs. I am not weighing again until Thursday when it's been a full week.

laurie91566
on 1/22/13 10:52 am - OH

I get a burp/hicup when full and as for what to eat, my Dr told me I wasn't getting enough protein this early out and my body would tell me when I was ready to start the next phase of eatting, if I felt like I needed it to move along  just do it, BUT DON"T over due it.... I would be sick... (stick to low carbs high Protein)

brenlee1965
on 1/22/13 12:12 pm - New Berlin, NY
I had to follow the food stages.....doesn't appear your doc does that. My doc wanted to make sure my pouch was healed before introducing harder foods. I cannot tolerate grease.....makes me puke. I hate grits, so I can't answer about that at all. My doc said any spices were okay. I have never felt hunger since surgery and I never want to feel full, ever again. Plus the docs said you cannot feel full; so that's why you are to measure everything. So you don't overeat or stretch the pouch. Food isn't my focus anymore, cause I struggle with eating and drinking (no stricture was found last week) I have to cut everything into tiny sizes and then chew, chew and chew some more before I swallow. Hoping it gets better and better. I have lost 93 lbs in 4-1/2 months.
 Bren                
daphneb
on 1/22/13 3:20 pm - AK

It was 6 weeks before I had soft foods, and even then it was hard for me to get down.  I would stick to the list of whatever your doctor/surgeon's office gave you.  Grits might be a bit too rich for your new tummy right now. I actually cringed when I read your post.  I am nearly six months out now and can remember vividly all your are going through.  I seriously just had broth, oatmeal, refried beans, sugar-free jello and sugar-free popsicles for the first few weeks.  This is when you need to look at food other than a comfort food or what you "like" to eat.  If you are merely getting in your 3 half cup servings in a day at this point, you're doing well.  Don't pu**** you stomach still has a lot of healing to do. 

Even today, I had another episode of my lunch not agreeing with me.  I ate it yesterday and it was fine, today, it just didn't agree with me.  It was Chili Verde with refried beans.  I think if I reheat something and it makes it tougher, I just cannot hack it.  So, I'm still struggling with foods.  From what I understand or what I've been told, it'll be a year out before I do not have difficulties anymore.  Or sometimes they say, some foods just won't agree with your new pouch.

Keep your diet bland right now, as much as possible.  I'd hate for you to get sick right now while you're trying to heal.  Stick to your half cup portions only (or whatever your recommended plan is) and don't worry about getting full yet...it'll take awhile before you eat enough to feel that anyway.  I hiccup when I'm full or eating too fast...but it can be different for everyone.  Once in awhile I will feel the fullness, but this is of course if I haven't paid attention and measured what I'm eating. 

Good luck and I wish you the best in your recovery!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 239 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views