Update #2

thechief94
on 1/24/13 11:34 am - NC

A couple of lessons I learned after going to the Emergency Room last Friday for dehydration, getting fluids, being sent home, and going to the surgeon's office the next Monday for a four day hospital admission:

(1) Call the surgeon's office FIRST. That is what his/her office is for, and the staff has far more experience dealing with RNY patients than the ER.

(2) Don't wait for things to start getting extreme - get help if you think you need it. I'd (now) rather bother them a little with small things than not enough with things that really matter.

(3) SIP-SIP-SIP. Part of my problem was not getting enough fluids, becoming nauseated, drinking less, getting more nauseated - a downward spiral. The time for anti-nausea help is before it becomes unmanageable.

(4) Always endeavor to get the protein, vitamins, and calcium in. If I let it slide for a morning, it was easier to let it slide for a day - again, cumulative effect. "Banana bags" help, but there are easier ways to get nutrients.

(5) The surgeon's office was on top of the situation and went to extremes to help remedy the situation. Kudos to the staff and doctors at VSA for going above and beyond in helping me get back on the straight and narrow.

Ron

apurdie
on 1/24/13 3:25 pm - CA

Great report!

karenp8
on 1/24/13 7:25 pm - Brighton, IL

Very good points for us all. Glad you got help and are doing better!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views