Weight Loss Numbers

jlewis1981
on 2/5/13 1:29 am - FL

Okay.. So how does a person really know that they are on track after surgery? Are there certain numbers or percentages that a person is supposed to be at 2 wks, 1 month, 3 months, etc?

I am not sure if I am supposed to be happy with my current loss at 2 weeks or if I'm behind. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

Cindyagogo
on 2/5/13 1:46 am
RNY on 02/21/12

The numbers are only going to be averages. Everyone is different and lose at different rates and have different struggles  so it is hard to compare. Definitely don't compare yourself to anyone else or you will make yourself crazy.

22lbs in 2 weeks? That is terrific! Every pound lost is a victory no matter how slow or fast! Well done

Candy V.
on 2/5/13 1:56 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

This is from memory, but averages are something like

month 1          - 20 lbs

month 2-6      -10 to 15 lbs each month

Then -5 per month after that to goal

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/5/13 1:56 am

Jeff, comparison is the enemy of success. We all have different experiences with our losses.

You should definitely be happy with your loss. If you track your loss as you go, you will see a pattern developing. For many of us, it looks like a set of stairs: it goes down, it levels out, and it goes down again. Weight loss is cumulative, so when you see someone post about having lost X many pounds, they didn't do it overnight. We all want to get to goal ASAP, but then what? We have to stay there.

So take it easy; you're doing great. Keep on with your plan and you will lose weight.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

jlewis1981
on 2/5/13 2:06 am - FL

Thanks for the encouragement and advice... It is much appreciated.

-Jeff

MultiMom
on 2/5/13 2:17 am - NH

Hey Jeff, It looks like you are doing great! OH has a 'planner'. You put in your height, weight and what % you hope to lose (100%  ). Then it spits out this graph to show you how much you MAY lose each month to get there. It doesn't take in to account age or sex, so it's not really accurate, but it is kind of a fun estimator. I lost more quickly that the graph said that I would, but others not as fast.

Men seem to lose more quickly than women do. The other thing that they cannot tell by this is compliance and exercise, etc. As long as you look at it for as a guess, that is fine.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/planner+results.php

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Skinnygirlme
on 2/5/13 5:25 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12

I agree! Don't compare yourself, just enjoy this incredible journey!!!

I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
thynnlynn
on 2/5/13 7:28 am - MI

I did not know about the OH planner.  My Barix book has a formula, but it is a PITA.  I like the things where you can plug in the info and it spits it all out in the right format.  Thank you!

All of you that have gone before, yet stay around are SO appreciated.  As OH is basically my only support, this is wonderful. 

I am disabled and spend a lot of time at home and hope that eventually I will be able to do the same thing to help the newbies like I am being helped.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Lori F.
on 2/5/13 9:19 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12
This is what my surgeon says average is:

Formula: (pounds lost)/(excess body weight) x 100 = % excess weight lost
Two weeks: 5-10%
Six weeks: 10-15%
Three Months: 20-30%
Six Months: 45-55%
Twelve Months: 60-70%
Eighteen Months: 75-85%

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

KathyS28
on 2/5/13 10:03 am - MA

Don't look at the planner , it's not good to compare. At least for me!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 574 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 294 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 381 views