Coffee???

lumina99
on 2/12/13 2:50 pm - ME
I love my coffee! I only have one large cup in the morning. But I've been told that you shouldn't have coffee after surgery. My surgery is March 18th and I'm trying to wean myself off. I miss my regular strong coffee So is it true that I can't have regular coffee after/in the future?
poet_kelly
on 2/12/13 2:56 pm - OH

You can have it if you want.  Some people choose not to have caffeine because it can aggrevate an ulcer, interfere somewhat with the absorption of iron and calcium, cause insomnia, etc.  Other people choose to have it in moderation (well, some have more than that!).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

apurdie
on 2/12/13 3:15 pm - CA

I was told that I can have one cup a day. Usually I have it first thing.

Have2laugh
on 2/12/13 3:28 pm - Cheektowaga, NY

We were told that we can have it if our pouch says that it is ok

Kenny B.
on 2/12/13 5:46 pm - Leland, NC
RNY on 01/30/12

I have about a pot everyday. Usually  2 big cups of a morning, and 1 in the afternoon. Sometimes 1 in the evening when I get home from work.

No problems so far.  

Kenny B.
Philippians 4;6-7

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Poppygail
on 2/12/13 5:52 pm - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13

I have chronic migraines and the caffeine from a morning cup of coffee definitely helps. Therefore, my surgeon says I can continue this one cup post-op as long as it doesn't bother my pouch.

Randy

Laura in Texas
on 2/12/13 7:13 pm

I gave it up for about 6 months post-op, but drink it now. No problems here. Many of us drink it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

artroxy blue
on 2/12/13 7:35 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
I am allowed one cup of regular coffee per day, and anything above that, is decaf. I usually only drank one cup as a pre-op, but I do drink more now as a post-op--even if it's decaf.

DebsGiz
on 2/12/13 7:57 pm - FL

I am not a regular coffee drinker, but once in a while I do have a cup and it's never been a problem.

I, personally, put coffee into one of those "probably shouldn't" categories. I probably shouldn't drink coffee.  I probably shouldn't drink out of a straw, and I probably shouldn't chew a stick of gum either.  In the perfect wls world, I probably should not do these things,  but in the "real" world I live in, I do and have had no ill effects.

Now, I do drink cappuccino a number of times each week.  I make it with decaf, skim milk and  sugar free syrup(s).  I use this coffee as my "dessert" in the evenings if I'm craving something sweet.  I've also never had a problem and it feels so decadently rich.  

Have your cup of coffee if you have no problems...

cptprkchp
on 2/12/13 9:22 pm

I drink coffee like it's my job.  I drink three cups in the morning and a large one in the afternoon.  I would suggest talking to your surgeon about it- when I got discharged from the hospital I told my surgeon I was dying without coffee and he said it was ok to have a cup when I got home from the hospital.  I was overjoyed.

Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 127 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views