Drains post RNY

Babyshoes79
on 2/17/13 10:35 am
VSG on 11/19/13
Hello all,
I'm currently prepping for the possibility of WLS. Can you tell me if drains are used post op for the RNY proc? The thought of this makes me cringe. Any feedback ?????

Thx,
Rei
Nellybelly2012
on 2/17/13 10:53 am - LA

Hi Rei,

I did not have drains but they are more messy than painfully.. I had them when I had a mastectomy and it was just an adjustment. I guess it matters on the surgeon if you have drains.

HW 283/ SW 268/ CW 220/ GW 135  

Megan K.
on 2/17/13 11:00 am
RNY on 02/18/13

Some surgeons do use them, some don't.  In my practice I recently found out I am using the only surgeon that doesn't. So you may want to ask around at your intended practice.

Babyshoes79
on 2/17/13 11:06 am
VSG on 11/19/13

Thank you for the feedback!!! 

bobbirenee
on 2/17/13 11:17 am
RNY on 01/08/13

Before I had my surgery, I too was concerned about the drains that would be used. The drain turned out to be no big deal at all. The only part about the drain that turned out to be uncomfortable was when they removed it, It went fast when they took it out so it did not hurt it just felt strange.

poet_kelly
on 2/17/13 11:42 am - OH

I didn't have a drain but you should ask your surgeon if you will have one or not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JJ_
on 2/17/13 7:49 pm

I didn`t have any drains.  However, my biggest incision started leaking at approx 1.5 weeks post op for about 2 weeks on and off.  It is the serous fluid that is inside our bodies post-surgery that needs to come out.  That is what the drain is for.  So I used gauze and had to change it frequently some days.

Judy

quiltpainter
on 2/17/13 11:40 pm - CT

I had a drain for a week. It wasn't painful but annoying. Mine leaked around the site, I had to measure how much liquid was in it when I emptied it. I was very thankful when it was gone.

Recent Topics