Scared to try anything new

jlewis1981
on 2/20/13 8:13 am - FL

So I've been eating chili for the past two weeks and I am pretty nervous to try much of anything else. For some reason I can no longer stand eggs so that's out of the question. I've also tried chicken salad and crab salads from the grocery, and I just can't do them either (come right back up). Not to sound whiny, but I need/want something other than chili. Tomorrow will be 30 days post-op for me. Does anyone have any suggestions of things to try?

-Jeff

Mendie Thompson
on 2/20/13 8:32 am - TX
RNY on 09/24/12

Sorry to hear you are having food difficulties...hopefully that will clear up for you soon.  Do you like fish?  I was able to eat that early...but only light, white meat fish like cod, flounder or tilapia.  Starkest also makes a tuna pouch with different flavorL...I like the tuna and Italian dressing pouch.  But if you can't do the salads, the dressing in that might be a bit much.  I LOVE steamed shrimp.  I can eat retried beans with just about anything for a little extra protein kick.i also like the Campbell's chunky soups, like pot roast, and I eat the meat out of them...I normally can't make it to too many of the veggies, but I grab a bite or 2 of them.  Today I dipped pork rinds in chili con queso for a power packed lunch.  I hope you find something that will work well for your picky pouch.  Good luck to you!

Kim7777
on 2/20/13 8:47 am - NC
RNY on 02/04/13

I eat cheese and wheat thins for snack and eggs for breakfast.  i also have least 8 oz of skim milk every day.  This is about 30 grams of protein.  I like grilled chicken which is also high in protein and today I tried pot roast by hormel which is pre-prepared you just microwave it and I tolerated it perfectly.  Of course it was only a couple of ounces but its great protein.  I have not tried salad yet but I do want to try that soon as well.  I had surgery on 2/4/13.  The few things that I tried that didn't agree with me were tuna in spring water and breaded chicken tenders.  It made my pouch hurt for about 10 minutes and that was it.  I won't eat those things again for at least 3 months.  Good luck figuring it all out!

Sassyflamingo
on 2/20/13 9:03 am
RNY on 06/14/12

I make Nik's Taco Casserole (bariatricfoodie.com).

casserole dish makes 12 servings and I eat it for lunch everyday. I've been doing this since about two months out. It might seem monotonous, but it works for me. 

GOOD LUCK! 

Sherry T.
on 2/20/13 8:41 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

I forgot that one! yes, i made it and froze it and it was so easy to take out and defrost in the microwave!!  I need to make that again! Haven't really had much ummph lately in the kitchen and I so need to take command even if living at my Mom's! 

Sherry

MrsLitch
on 2/20/13 1:25 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

since you are handling chili well you will probably handle most things made with ground beef. Meatloaf has been one of my faves since surgery it always sits well for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

daphneb
on 2/20/13 4:00 pm - AK

Eggs are not easy, even for me at nearly seven months.  Somedays they agree with me, sometimes not.  I really enjoyed the Pinto Refried Beans from Taco Bell.  They have the right amount, and you can get cheese on top too.  I lived off that for the first few weeks.  I also ate a lot of soup, so much easier to do.  Also, get some yogurts too, you can get the Greek Yoplait one, it has 12grams of protein and is super yummy.  I also now add Bare Naked Protein Granola to it and it adds another 6grams of protein.

Ground Beef, someone mentioned, is also really easy to eat.  I would fry it up in a pan and add grated cheese to it for a meal, super good for you.  Don't add onions or mushrooms, I still can't eat them.  Onions kill me. 

I still can't eat regular lettuce yet, but I can eat spinach. 

It's going to be a challenge, but you just got to keep trying things.  You'll find your few items that you can always fall back on.

Good Luck:)

Sherry T.
on 2/20/13 8:39 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

I was able to tolerate refried beans with a little shredded cheese and light sour cream, after the 3 weeks of protein shakes and preop diet....it tasted like steak!  How about just blended chopped chicken?  I put the canned chicken in the mini-chopper and it really ground it into a smaller mushy meat.  I put just a tad of mustard...can't tolerate mayo much anymore, even the light I have to use it sparingly but found I really just don't want it or need it. 

What's a little whine among friends! Hang in there!

Hope that helps, if i think of anything else, I'll post again!

Sherry

Silverbelle69
on 2/21/13 1:24 am - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

When I was at your stage, I was scared too.  

I tried canned french style green beans, sugar free jello pudding with a little bit of protein powder mixed in, lunchmeats, refried beans.   I could do Egg Beaters pretty early on, but I still can't do real eggs.   If you can stand ricotta cheese, you can pair it with a spoonful of lite spaghetti sauce in a jar.  I discovered quickly that I could no longer tolerate milk, so I started mixing protein powder in water instead.  My favorite is Matrix Mint Cookie, with Chike running a close second.  I did try Ritz Whole Wheat crackers with laughing cow cheese - they went down great in the early days.  However, I eventually had to stop buying crackers because they fueled cravings.

Just keep trying!  Bites the size of a dime chewed about 30 times worked fine for me.    The more I ate and drank, the better I started to feel.

Hope that helps.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 574 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 293 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?