Liquid Diet and Constipation

Megan S.
on 2/26/13 3:42 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

I'm on day 6 of my pre op liquid diet and realized I haven't had a BM since I started.  I'm also eating veggies for dinner every night so you would think that would keep me somewhat regular. I've never had any problems in the past and  I'm not in any pain or discomfort... YET. Is there a pill I can take because there is just no way I'm drinking anything else? Thanks for any advice!!  

LilyBugsMommy
on 2/26/13 3:54 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

In Ottawa,they recommended a sugar free Metamucil I think. I will check when I get home from work and let you know what my book says :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Megan S.
on 2/26/13 3:56 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Good Lord, do I have to drink it?..lol. I've about had it with drinking. I'm hoping there is a pill I can take that will bring it on slowly..not all at once. Thanks for the advice!!

Megan S.
on 2/26/13 4:07 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

NEVERMIND !!!! I Guess all the talking and thinking about it got me motivated...so to speak...lol. But if anyone does know of a pill I can take so this doesn't happen again I would appreciate it.

~Megan

angeleigh
on 2/26/13 4:20 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I personally take 3-4 non stimulant stool softeners every night. I add in Benefiber to almost everything I drink, the unflavored, non thickening kind.

I have read adding in magnesium helps as well.

Kind of an interesting website I found. http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Constipation.htm l

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

jess_77
on 2/26/13 12:15 pm - ND
I am on day 6 also haven't had any problems with constipation. I wonder if a stool softer would help. I know I have generic colace and it seems to help, it's a small pill. I'm with ya though... no more crap to drink please. The shakes I have make me sick to my stomach. I can't wait to be done with them! Good luck!
LilyBugsMommy
on 2/26/13 4:33 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Lol, yes, it will be nice to be done with the shakes!! Between them and all the water I am always in the bathroom. Its worse than when I was pregnant, I am sure :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Megan S.
on 2/26/13 5:59 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

I'm with you..I feel like I'm going every 5 minutes and I even got up  3 times last night.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/26/13 7:29 am - OH

Since you are already on liquids, just get some Benefiber powder to mix into your liquids.  It is truly tasteless and has no texture so you will never know it is there, and the fiber in that is much better for your body than a stool softener or laxative (but there are LOTS of the you can take if you choose).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LilyBugsMommy
on 2/26/13 7:39 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Just in case you need it, my book says to take 1-2 Metamucil capsules (sugar free) with each Optifast shake to help with constipation and/or diarrhea.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views