should I stop reading??

Christy C.
on 2/27/13 3:25 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Was just glancing over at the revisions board and it frightens me! So many people with failed rny. I'm worried that I will gain all the weight I lose back....that the rny won't work for me!

HW 280  SW 258     GW 165

dahoodman
on 2/27/13 3:43 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I say keep reading, but keep an open mind. I have a friend here at work that has a "failed" RNY and a friend at home that has a "failed" LapBand. There are reasons that these WLS have "failed" and it's NOT because of the surgery itself (in their cases). I would venture to say that there are some folks who have had "failed" surgeries due to complications or maybe something else. It may be that they failed to choose the right surgery. Did you research the various types of surgeries available? I hope so. Did you and your surgeon talk [honestly] about your eating habits and such and then pick the surgery based on those discussions? If not I would go back to your surgeon and have those talks. I'm no doctor but my research over the last few years has informed me enough to know that there are certain types of people who will not do well on certain types of WLS. I don't suggest just picking RNY because it's the most popular or the quickest (if it even is) or the safest or whatever. Pick it because the type of person you are is apt to be more successful with it.

My doctor told several stories about "failed" surgeries and then went on to explain why they "failed" and you can see the mistakes people were making or the things that led up to the failures. My one friend that has the lap band failed for a couple reasons. His doctor decided shortly after the surgery that he was no longer going to do them so my friend has to find another doctor. He was having a hard time trying to find a doctor that wanted to maintain his LapBand that another surgeon put in. He knows that "filling stations" exist but the support really isn't there and they are pretty far away. On top of all that, he has not been good or even close to the diet that he should be. He can eat the same amount of food that I can. And it only takes him a few minutes extra. He has a band that is supposedly completely full and I have nothing right now. Either his band has slipped, or it isn't as full as they told him at the filling station, or it leaked, or because he drinks 4 or more teas while he's eating washing the food through the band. My belief is the last thing I said.

Anyway, I'm just trying to say to you that many people need revisions because the first choice wasn't applicable for them or their surgeon or friend or research steered them wrong. I believe that happens. 

Some need revisions and knew up front that they would because they were very large and their surgeon said two types would be necessary.

Some will get a revision and "fail" at those too because they don't change their way of life. There are likely some that just fail because the body just doesn't adjust or whatever. I really think that could happen too.

I'm confident in the RNY surgery for me because of who and how I am.

I hope this helps.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Sara O.
on 2/27/13 4:21 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

Something the vets on here keep pointing out is that the people who usually post on the forums are seeking advice or encouragement. Usually its just the people who need help. For every "failure" there are probably several success stories. Besides there is always that cliche rule: DO NOT believe everything that you read(especially on the internet). Some people might be "failures" because they have failed themselves by not eating right or following their surgeon's plan. Some people forget that this is a tool and not a miracle cure and when they fail to follow the plan they blame the surgery and not themselves.

My advice: Stop reading the forums and talk to your surgeon. He/She is the only one who can really give you accurate information.

MsBatt
on 2/27/13 4:22 am

No, you need to be reading even MORE. No one should have WLS without understanding all the pros and cons. Here's a thread you should read: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the- Patient-Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/

There are four basic forms of WLS, and you should research them all. The people most likely to fail are those who choose the wrong procedure for their own personal strengths and weaknesses.

Christy C.
on 2/27/13 4:27 am - Oklahoma City, OK

My surgeon doesn't do the DS. In fact I don't think any in Oklahoma do. The sleeve is not an option for me because of the reflux. I have two friends who are 4 years post op and have done wonderfully...it just panics me that this is such a huge surgery. Life altering, and if I were to gain back what I lost I would be devastated.

Findingme2013
on 2/27/13 8:57 am
RNY on 02/04/13

I think the more you know the better you can make your choice.  To be honest, I wish I had come here before my surgery.  I've learned a lot just from reading on here.  Things I did not know and had I knew I would have talked with the doctor.  I agree, that many people fail because they don't do what they should!!  It's a huge deal!!

Christy C.
on 2/27/13 10:17 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I have researched and researched. I just find it hard to grasp that soooo many fail.

Mary Catherine
on 2/27/13 12:23 pm
In the end the surgery works if you learn to eat less calories than you burn. DS has the best malabsorption and most weight loss. RNY has good malabsorption for a few years, Sleeve and Lapland no malabsorption.

While you malabsorb calories are not as important. Long term calories are everything.
AngelicMythology
on 3/1/13 9:22 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13
Everyone is different and you're going to have to do what is best for you. After food journals, different weight loss programs, and doctors, I ended up doing a revision. That is what I felt was best for me after much research. Even with the revision, I don't regret my decision to get weight loss surgery in 2007. Best wishes for a safe and healthy journey.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

Lori F.
on 3/1/13 11:30 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

I had to stop reading them simply because it was freaking me out.  I was already so worried this wouldn't work, I didn't need to read horror stories.  I think that is the same with anything.  I remember when I was pregnant with my first all the horror stories I read.  It is not the norm, it is the exception and as long as you are committed, I don't see why it wouldn't work, you know?

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 215 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?