Hey veterans: what do you know about WLS and long term metabolism?

Louise1974
on 3/3/13 6:58 am

So what are people noticing?  My understanding is that rapid weight loss and calorie restricted diets cause a slowing of metabolism.  Most recently this was in the news around those poor contestants of the Biggest Loser whose metabolism was markedly slower than expected after their times on the show (even after accounting for their smaller sizes).  Anybody have any anecdotal or research evidence that addresses this?  My bari program doesn't seem to understand my question (which is quite typical, sadly) and when they do answer they just tell me that I will be fine if I drink enough water and eat enough protein.  I do get plenty of protein/water and weight resistance exercise.  But even with all that, what are people's metabolic rates looking like long term?  I might post this over on the main forum too...

poet_kelly
on 3/3/13 7:12 am - OH

I can just speak for myself.  I would say my  metabolism doesn't seem too bad.  I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day and don't get much exercise and maintain my weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/13 7:16 am, edited 3/3/13 7:18 am
RNY on 04/18/12
exohexoh
on 3/3/13 7:18 am, edited 3/3/13 7:18 am - West Chester, PA

i really want to get mine tested. i'm pretty sure it's very low, but that seems to have been how it was pre-op too, so i would guess for me it's just some awful genetics (i'm adopted so i'll never know for sure, though i'm considering seeing what medical information i can get as this is all i am interested in). 

where do people usually get them tested? i've never seen anything advertised at my gym, and between me and my dad i'm sure my pcp would have recommended it for one of us if he offered it by now, but i am scheduled to see him next week so i'll ask (if i remember).

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Laura in Texas
on 3/3/13 7:30 am

My bariatric surgeon has one of those machines you breathe into to determine your RMR. I have not had it done because he charges for this and I have not had trouble maintaining my weight. If I ever do, I will get it done.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

exohexoh
on 3/3/13 7:39 am - West Chester, PA

i haven't had any issues maintaining, it's losing more that i can't seem to do. i've tried eating well below what the online calculators say (and of course playing around and eating higher amounts too), and the fat is obviously having some parting issues lol. i'd really like to lose another 10-15 before my plastics... i guess we'll see if it happens by june!

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/13 7:22 am, edited 3/3/13 7:22 am
RNY on 04/18/12

I'm not a veteran, but I found an abstract on the subject interesting.  I tried to copy and paste the abstract from an article from Obesity Surgery (Energy expenditure before and after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.) but it didn't seem to want to work for me.  Here's the link to it in case anyone wants to read it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22592393

Louise1974
on 3/3/13 8:21 am

Thanks so much Shelly!  I just ordered the full article but the abstract looks awful promising.  I know that the hormones that impact satiation and hunger are positively impacted post surgery (and I have really noticed this) so perhaps this plays a role.  I wish there was more research but this was really helpful.  Thanks everyone!  My metabolic rate was dreadful pre-op, I hadn't had it tested but it was so obviously in the tank, I am overjoyed to be losing weight but just feared harming my metabolic rate even more. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/3/13 9:15 am, edited 3/3/13 9:52 am - OH

According to my surgeon and an article I found in a medical journal shortly after I had my surgery, for SOME people, the extreme caloric restriction during the first 6 months after surgery can cause a permanent lowering of the metabolism, and those with more extreme caloric deficits and for longer periods of time are more likely to have this happen.  It does not happen to everyone, and the DEGREE to which the metabolism drops was very inconsistent according to the article.  It has been several years, but I will look to see if I have the article file or a bookmark to get the article details. 

It seems odd that the people in your bariatric program wouldn't even understand the question.  Have you asked your actual surgeon about it?

i don't know what my metabolism was like pre-op, but it is just "ok" now.  Under 1400 calories per day seems to keep my weight stable, but I have bad knees so I don't so any formal cardio exercise.  I have a recumbent bike that I use, but my knees prevent me from really riding "hard" enough to get my heart rate up much.

Lora

edited... What is up w/autocorrect tonight?

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Louise1974
on 3/3/13 9:47 am

My bari program drives me nuts sometimes.  They told me once that they gear all their answers to those with a 4th grade understanding, maybe they have just forgotten how to communicate with anyone over that level?  Who knows?  Despite their instructions I have worked on not having too much of a calorie deficit, it just doesn't seem like a good idea.  I would rather lose slower than lose fast and then have to subsist on 900 calories a day.  I am lucky that I am able to get pretty good exercise.  Maybe that will help me.  I think I may investigate getting my metabolic rate tested. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 6 views
Recent Topics