Getting over a stall?

robyn_fresh
on 3/11/13 12:00 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I have been in a stall (actually gained 6 lbs the first 2 weeks) for about 3 and a half weeks now. I am getting about 90 grams of protein in a day, sometimes forget my calcium and about 60 oz of fluid a day. I'm eating about 800 calories a day and exercising 45 minutes 5 or 6 days a week. How can I get over still stall? Is going back to a protein shake only diet a good option? I tried adding an extra 100 calories of protein already as well as cutting out as much sodium as possible.

Ninny80
on 3/11/13 12:14 am, edited 3/11/13 12:23 am

This is a GREAT question.  I've been in a stall for the last 2 months now.  What I keep telling myself is as long as I am compliant, eat right, exercise and drink water ithe weight will come off. 

You are doing everything right so have patience and you will see the numbers go down on the scale again

Stephanie M.
on 3/11/13 12:17 am - Los Angeles, CA

I wouldn't go back to the protein shake only diet, your body needs a little more nutrition than that at this point. I would just make sure and mix up what you are eating (still eat the healthy, protein first foods that you have been eating, just if you have been eating a lot of chicken breasts, maybe try some white fish or veggie burgers for example). Also, sometimes mixing up the calorie amount, from anywhere between 600-1000 can help. If you always give your body the exact same amount of calories, it becomes adjusted to that.

Other than that, just keep up the good work! Stick with the plan you know works, and it will pay off!  

JaneJetson60
on 3/11/13 12:49 am, edited 3/11/13 12:50 am
RNY on 05/07/12

You have to be vigilant with your vitamins.  This is for life!  You cannot slack on this.  Also, increase your water intake.  I cannot drink plain water but use a water enhancer (Mios) for flavor.  Can you give us a breakdown of what you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks?  Some surgeons want us to eat 6 small meals a day, (mine does) and others only three and don't allow for  snacking which I understand breaking that cycle.  But my opinion having a healthy snack will also keep you from grazing and keep glucose levels where they should be.  What good will going back to an all protein liquid diet do you at this stage of surgery?  Nothing!   You need the calories and if you are complying with the program, the stall will break eventually.  Remember at 5 and 6 months you will start to slow down, more at 9 months and even more at one year, so this is the time to be the most vigilant in losing  How about carbs? Fried foods? Breads?  have you cut them out right now?  Healthy carbs are important to run our body but empty carbs is what did most of us all in to begin with.  

One of our vets on here, Lady Heidi made a statement that has stuck with me.  You risked dying on the operating table in order to get healthy and have a second chance at getting your **** together.  She doesn't mess around with words and I agree with her. So if people put crap in their mouth on a consistent basis after surgery their life will be crap once again.  Best of luck.  Jane

MC83
on 3/11/13 12:50 am
RNY on 04/28/12 with
MC83
on 3/11/13 12:55 am
RNY on 04/28/12 with

I would recommend increasing your caloric intake to 1000 calories a day and changing up your exercise routine.  It seems as though your body as gotten used to everything so "shocking" it can break the stall. 

robyn_fresh
on 3/11/13 1:45 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Typical day:

B-one egg omelette(egg,feta cheese, spinach, spray pan with pam)

S-protein shake-160 calories 30 grams protein 3 grams sugar

L-often half of a small wendy's chili with cheese or a slice of swiss cheese and roast beef wrapped in lettuce leaf

S-another protein shake

D-usually grilled or broiled fish with a veggie

S-greek yogurt popsicle-80 calories 6 grams protein 3 grams sugar

JaneJetson60
on 3/11/13 3:48 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Thanks, Robyn.  Yes, I think it would help to eat more.  We have been so conditioned to lower our food intake that our mind has a hard time going, ok let's eat more!   I was on a stall for over 6 weeks at five months out and have them off and on but I just go with the flow because I learned from the get go it's all part of WLS.  Keep working your program and hang in there.  Jane

65rosesmom
on 3/11/13 3:58 am

You might want to try replacing the shakes with some high protein food options for a week or so and see how that goes.    So instead of a shake, have some cheese slices and a piece of fruit.   Or have some peanut butter and apple slices.    Something that is still going to help you get your protein in, but not be liquid.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Mary Catherine
on 3/11/13 7:59 am
For most of my life I cut calories to lose. That is still the only thing that works for me. The body will burn stored fat to survive and weight will go down. Adding calories never worked for me
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 313 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 50 views
Recent Topics