How to avoid gaining after a steroid shot

brandi31cole
on 3/17/13 7:14 am - arlington, TX

Hi all! I'm almost 7 months out and I got injured on the job in December 2012. I have a torn ACL, torn rotator's cuff, and 2 herniated discs pressing on my SAC nerve. I'm due to get an epidural steroid injection tomorrow. My weight loss has stopped because I can't exercise right now. I spoke with my dietician about how to avoid weight gain and how to kick start my weight loss, she had NO CLUE. Can anyone help me?

poet_kelly
on 3/17/13 7:24 am - OH

Not exercising doesn't necessary cause weight loss to stop.  However, stalls are common around six months out and usually last at least a month (many people don't consider it a stall at all if it lasts less than a month).  You may need to eat fewer calories if you are burning fewer calories, though.

I had steroid injections for my back a couple times post op and they never causes weight gain for me.  I know oral steroids often cause increased appetite but I 'm not sure if that's the case with injected steroids or not.

Probably all you need to do is stick to your plan.  The weight will keep coming off.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BellaNY
on 3/17/13 7:59 am

I've had many epideural injections in my neck and hip (all before WLS). I didn't notice any weight gain after the epideurals. So I don't think you'll have an issue with the injected medication.

Also have been on oral prednisone dozens of times for asthma and injuries (again pre-WLS). It as the oral prednisone that made me gain weight.

I hope the injections help and you're feeling better soon.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/17/13 9:10 am - OH

I have been having steroid injections in both knees three times a year for the past 3 years, and have not been able to exercise very much at all because of the pain in my knees during that same time period, and I did not gain any weight at all.  Steroid injections do not cause the increase in appetite that daily oral steroids do.  

If your weight loss stalled because of a lack of exercise, it simply means you need to decrease your calories to make up for the lack of exercise.  It is common for weight loss to slow down noticeably around the 6 month mark, though, so it may have nothing to do with exercise.  If you were injured in December, it sounds like you have not been able to exercise for a couple of months, but MANY people lose weight during the first year with minimal (or no) exercise, so you may be eating too much or not making good choices.  Are you tracking what you eat?  How many calories per day are you getting?  How much protein?  How many carbs?

Even after surgery, weight loss still boils down to burning more calories than you consume,and with the caloric malabsorption you still have going on, you should still be losing weight even with no exercise.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Chirs H.
on 3/17/13 12:02 pm - Wichita Falls, TX

Prior to WLS  gained 100 pounds in about 15 months - I was taking 60mg of prednissone per day and eating EVERYTHING I could cram into my mouth.

Post surgery I was able to get down to 20mg at one time - today I'm 6 months out and Ive been taking 60mg per day again for three weeks now, but I don't find myself eating like I did before - filling up so quickly and knowing I have to save room for my protein and water is in the forefront of my mind at all times and I think this has helped me more than anything.  Needless to say, I was very nervous when I learned I had to go back on this high dosage again

Chris

Don't quit before the miracle...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/18/13 10:55 pm - OH

But you store talking about ORAL steroids, not steroid INJECTIONS.  Different creatures.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

brandi31cole
on 3/18/13 3:43 pm - arlington, TX

Thanks everyone for your replies. I blew my plan today. I had to fast until 2:00 pm today, by that time I felt ravenous. I brought along my premier protein shake. After having that, I went on a complete BINGE! I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on wheat, a half pack of ramen noodles, and a small bag of chips. I'm utterly ashamed of myself. I'm posting on here because it will keep me accountable.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/18/13 9:34 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

NO CHIPS! But you already know that. Get them out of your house! Don't buy them! Your family can live without them!

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/18/13 9:32 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

Add me to the list: I've had plenty of steroid injections and haven't gained because of them. And even if you do gain, it would be temporary.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 562 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 551 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 274 views