Travel and need a protein drink alternative

jlewis1981
on 3/22/13 5:10 am - FL

I'm traveling a lot over the next few weeks for work and I won't have refrigeration options at my hotel for protein drinks and am looking for an alternative.

Has anyone ever tried the Quest Protein Bars that I see advertised around my screen on this site? I was looking at reviews on Amazon and they are fairly positive.

Any thoughts on them or any other suggestions of a shake alternative?

-Jeff

Karen8268
on 3/22/13 5:32 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
Love Quest bars for being on the go!! I also will resort to ready-made Muscle Milk shakes too. Not too bad room temperature. Just be careful of the Quest bars if you have never had them. Some varieties have sugar alcohols in them and this can be a problem if you are sensitive.

Linda K.
on 3/22/13 6:22 am
RNY on 08/01/12

Do a lot of traveling. Syntrax fuzzy protein nectar.  Have a small shaker bottle, water and then drink protein.  Have one for breakfast and at least one other time during day.

lyn

lyn

65rosesmom
on 3/22/13 6:36 am

When I travel, I use sandwich ziploc baggies to make individual powder packets of my protein powder.   The Big Train Fit Frappe powders mix really well with hot coffee (its cassein protein vs. whey I think, so it doesn't get all congealed with heat the same way).  I just buy a coffee or make it in the hotel room and add my powder.   Do note that Big Train protein mixes require a lot of powder to make it very high in protein.  When I'm home I mix a little of that and a little of whey protein which has more protein per scoop.  But on the road, fit frappe is my way to go.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

HFrederick613
on 3/22/13 9:16 am - PA

I travel constantly and buy 35 gram pure protein shakes in a can and also Atkins but the only have 16 grams of protein.  Pure protein is sold at trader joes and the weight liting store that's close to me

Heather

yippeex8
on 3/22/13 11:43 am - Jenison, MI

I would pack some pre-made stuff in cans or cartons, but I've also purchased one of those plastic containers that new moms put baby formula in. I put a scoop of protein in one of those, and bring my shaker bottle. I can buy a pint of milk and mix it. I can also get milk at a restaurant. One night I had to go down to the bar and buy a bottle of milk for $2.

I agree with the Fuzzy Navel or other fruit flavors from Syntrax, they just would need water. They also sell individual packets, that would travel well.

Be wary of restaurant foods and their sodium content. It makes me retain water. 

alaskasusan
on 3/22/13 2:27 pm, edited 3/22/13 2:28 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Have you tried Isopure's Clear Difference ready-to-drink bottles? They are clear, not shake-like, and an 8 oz bottle has 15 gr of protein.  I got a few six-packs online as I can't find them up here, but you might be able to in your area, if this is an option for you.  The bottles are small and the drinks is easy to get down.  I don't use them a lot, but they help on hectic days when I'm on the run. They are on the high side for carbs though, if that is an issue ~

Michelle H.
on 3/22/13 8:21 pm
RNY on 01/24/13
Some great suggestions. Also a traveler who packs protein powder and a shaker bottle. I mix my Unjury with water when on the road. Not bad and 20g protein per scoop. I really like the quest bars too. Usually take 1 for each day and they are a big help when in flight or in the airport when you are surrounded by junk food.

Adrianne_Dawn
on 3/26/13 6:42 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12

I drink Premier Protein from Costco - chocolate is my fave but vanilla works too. I often mix them in coffee for a different flavor or drink alone over some ice.  I also like "Oh Yeah" premade drinks, not a huge fan about any of "Pure protein" products except I like their bars. (20g each of protein).  The bad thing about things like Muscle Milk is they only have like 15g protein.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 365 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 500 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 570 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 291 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 365 views