Follow up. 3/14 RNY. Readmit/possible leak or surgery?

kraney
on 3/29/13 6:32 pm
Just wanted to post an update. I had my initial RNY surgery on 3/14/13. Everything went pretty well during surgery. No leaks showing after. I did have anemia and my blood count went extremely low. Had to have two blood transfusions. Then release out of the hospital on the 18th. Went home. Pretty uneventful. Just your average pain (or so I thought). Able to take all vitamins, get all liquids in, working up to 40g protein + per day. For a few days I had break through pain. Meaning that even taking maximize dosage of my pain meds the pain still broke through. After the first time called my nurse coordinator and he told me it sounded pretty normal. I have it two more days then decided it was time to go to the ER. That was Monday the 25th. I have been admitted since then. I have had numerous upper gi with contrast, cat scans with contrast, and oh so much blood taken. Numerous iv's put in and blown.... So many I lost count! Finally an amazing pic line!! Plus a drainage line in left abdomen. Needless to say they believe I may have a "leak" between pouch and remnant stomach or it could have been a hematoma or it still could be something entirely different. Currently the drain, the pic line, the pain meds have everything under control! doctors will wait until tues or weds for contrast test to see where we r at. So earliest I will be out is next weds. Crossing my fingers they are able to figure it all out. Things can only go up from here! Oh to top it off no NPO! No water ice chips nothing :/ Even with all this going on I am still sure I made the right decision.

RNY 3/14/2013 DOS 214, HW 229, CW 188

Lessoflinda
on 3/29/13 8:15 pm - NY
Good luck....hope they get to the bottom of it soon!

Linda, Endwell, NY RNY 11/5/12

Pittsteelers
on 3/29/13 9:10 pm - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
Im so sorry you are going threw this. I had a blockage 12 days after my surgery and was admitted back into the hospital and had to have surgery to bypass my first bypass. After that its been so much better. I hope they figure everything out soon. Best of luck to you. Prays being sent. Keep us posted!!!!

budha2000
on 3/29/13 10:04 pm

Im sorry I hope your doing okay now.

glad2balive
on 3/29/13 10:13 pm

I am praying for you a speedy recovery. 

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

bbearsmama
on 3/29/13 11:06 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

Bless your heart! I will be praying that they can figure it out quickly. So they may not have to do surgery? I had to go back in after my surgery. They checked for a leak and I was NPO overnight while waiting for the results. It freaked me out because I knew they were doing it in case they had to go in and fix a leak. It ended up being pneumonia (I'd been running a fever).

Keep us updated!

Hugs,

Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

kraney
on 3/30/13 12:44 am
On March 30, 2013 at 6:06 AM Pacific Time, bbearsmama wrote:

Bless your heart! I will be praying that they can figure it out quickly. So they may not have to do surgery? I had to go back in after my surgery. They checked for a leak and I was NPO overnight while waiting for the results. It freaked me out because I knew they were doing it in case they had to go in and fix a leak. It ended up being pneumonia (I'd been running a fever).

Keep us updated!

Hugs,

Pam

It's a possibility it may be a non surgical fix. They may just go with the drain inserted so far. They really aren't able to tell until the cat scan with contrast and upper gi series X-rays also with contrast. They are holding off on those as long as possible because as soon as they begin the contrast they have to stop the anti biotic. If it is not just a self healing leak then they would need to go in and see what's going on. All the doctors, nurses, and surgeons have been amazing! They are all over this. I don't believe they've ever had anyone have a complication like this here. Crossing my fingers it all goes well :)

RNY 3/14/2013 DOS 214, HW 229, CW 188

Kelly M.
on 3/30/13 12:15 am - TX

I hope this is all behind you real soon, Take care. Wishing you well. 

Kelly in Texas   Gastric Bypass   Oct 15 2012  

cajungirl
on 3/30/13 5:57 am
NPO is really necessary with a leak. Hopefully this will resolve in the next couple of days. Leaks if small can heal themselves, crossing fingers it does for you.

Have they discussed putting you on TPN?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
Recent Topics