Will I need help at home after surgery?

Kat1313
on 4/1/13 9:48 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

My surgery is scheduled for next Monday, 4/8.  I live alone, and although my daughter lives here in the city, I don't want to have to ask her to take off any more work than she has to.  She'll be with me the day of surgery and will also be taking me home when I am discharged.  What I would like to know, based on your experiences, is how much, if any, help I'll need at home after surgery.  I'll have all my postop drinks, shakes, vitamins, etc., ready so that won't be a problem.  I do have stairs going up to my bedroom but am hoping if I take it slowly it will be okay.  I could always sleep on the couch downstairs but it's really not comfortable for sleeping.

Would appreciate any advice or thoughts on how much help I might need after discharge - assuming all goes well and I don't have any serious complications.

Tks, Kathy

Katie K.
on 4/1/13 10:22 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

My mother is going to stay with me for at least a week. I have three cats and there's no way I'm going to be able to scoop the boxes. I'm not sure how long it's going to take before I'll be able to bend over. Also, I don't know how long it's going to take before I can drive. I plan on taking at least two weeks off from work. Energy levels are a pretty big problem, I've heard.

Kat1313
on 4/2/13 3:06 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Fortunately I was able to take early retirement, so don't have to worry about getting back to work!  That's quite a relief, believe me. 

beverlyp
on 4/1/13 10:32 pm

I needed some help with stuff like laundry and housework for the first few days.  If I had lived alone I think I could have made it okay though.  The stairs might be a headache for you cause of the soreness.  We got a lot of steps to get into our house and I had a difficult time with them.  Make sure you keep your phone close to you at all times in case you do have problems, especially when you are going to shower.  I got dizzy a lot.  I kept my cell in my pocket when I was home alone.  And just remember to make sure you have enough room on that couch to lay on your back.  Took two days after I got home before I could sleep on either side. 

Kat1313
on 4/2/13 3:12 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Thanks, Beverly, I really appreciate the suggestions.  I'll probably wait to shower until the evening when my daughter can come over.  And I'll be sure to remember that tip about keeping the phone close by, I wouldn't have thought of that.

karenp8
on 4/1/13 11:13 pm - Brighton, IL

There is really no way to know because everyone is different. Personally I did fine at home alone after surgery. I couldn't lift anything for several weeks so when I did laundry I just carried small batches to the washer and dryer at a time. It took a while to get it there but it worked. I did fine with steps just had to take them slow. I slept on my side the first night in the hospital too with pillows to keep me from rolling over too far.

Kat1313
on 4/2/13 3:10 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Karen,

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.  That's good to know about the steps, I plan on taking my time going up and down them, not in a rush to get anywhere in a hurry!

chulbert
on 4/2/13 12:13 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Assuming that everything goes according to plan, you should be 100% self-sufficient when you return home.  As my surgeon said, "You will be restricted only by comfort and common sense."

Kat1313
on 4/2/13 3:13 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Thanks for your response, that's very encouraging.  I like what your surgeon said! 

Laura in Texas
on 4/2/13 12:45 am

My mother helped me with my kids, but I personally did not need any help. Have some ready to drink shakes on hand if you are too tired to make anything else. You should be fine.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 310 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 499 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 567 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 557 views