bad abdominal cramp/pain

Day_dream_believer
on 4/2/13 10:11 am

Since last night I have been having abdominal pain.At first I thought it was gas so I took some mylanta, but it didn't help.  I have never had gas this bad or long.  It got better earlier today, but it is worse tonight. It comes in waves like labor pains, but the waves are constant.  (not 3-5 minutes apart like labor).  I will call the Dr. in the morning if it doesn't get better.  Any thoughts?

I am almost 2 years out.

big42long
on 4/2/13 10:19 am - OH
Do you still have your gallbladder?

Strjen
on 4/2/13 10:38 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

I was going to say gall stones or kidney stones possibly.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Rick White
on 4/2/13 11:19 am
RNY on 03/26/12
I say go to the ER and have them contact your surgeon. I just had my one year post-op visit with my surgeon. He gave specific directions if I have abdominal cramps lasting more than three hours to go to the ER and request he be contacted.

SarahLee1969
on 4/2/13 11:24 am - NY
Where in your abdomen?
Can you be more specific... is it burning, dull, sharp?
I had an internal hernia. My pain was to the right of my belly button. It came and went... at times it was sharp, at times it burned like a hot poker was in there, at times it was a dull ache, and at times there was no pain at all.
Pain in the abdomen is NOT normal this far out. Call your MD. If you need to go to the ER.
A hernia can get serious if the bowel gets stuck in the hernia...
owlisn
on 4/2/13 12:02 pm - NC

I agree with Rick.  My MD gave the same direction and said that abdominal pain was the main thing he watched for after one year out due to some specific medical complication.

Allison

rocky513
on 4/2/13 2:17 pm - WI

Severe abdominal pain is never normal.  I had similar pain as what you are describing and it turned out to be a bowel obstruction.  The longer you wait... the worse it will be.  I waited a few weeks with pain until it got so bad that I ended up in the ER.  My bowel had died and turned black...it ruptured as the surgeon was removing it from my body.  It almost cost me my life.  9 months later...it happened again.  This time I recognized the pain and they went in and untwisted the bowel without any complications.  This may not be what is wrong with you...but IMO...I would not wait until morning to have it checked out.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/13 2:46 pm - WA
RNY on 08/21/12

I've had two kidney stones, one that needed surgery, since my RNY in August and it felt just like the horrible back labor pains that I had. Don't wait too long to see a doc or just go to the ER as soon as possible!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 197 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics