update on bad abdominal pain

Day_dream_believer
on 4/3/13 2:16 am

Last night shortly after I posted the pain became unbearable so I went to the ER.  After a three hour wait to be seen my pain started to get better.  The Dr. said it was gastritis  and gave me some pain  medicine.  I had called my surgeon and he requested a cat scan.  This showed everything was normal and I was sent home. I am feeling much better today.  I don't know how I can be in pain that rivals labor and told that I don't have anything wrong.  I am very frustrated with the whole experience.

sonnieN
on 4/3/13 3:23 am - grand rapids, MI

Gastritis is a very real thing and can cause horrible pain. If that's what the ER Dr said it was they should be following up w/ a endoscopy to verify what is causing the gastritis. I believe helio cobacter (or something like that) is a bacteria that can cause gastritis and if that is the case you'd need antibiotics to get rid of it. I had gastritis but it wasn't caused by the bacteria. My surgeon then put me on a prescription for prilosec to help keep the inflamation in my pouch down.

Karen1961
on 4/3/13 6:14 am - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

I agree with the first reply!  You need to be scoped.  I'm an RN and have worked in the ER for several years at a time.  That seems to be a "catch-all" diagnosis that is given, at times, when they don't know what's really going on.  Generally tho, you have to scope to a true diagnosis of gastritis.  That pain is pretty horrific though.  Doesn't it seem that you should get a diagnosis of something like "huge boulder in your gut that we had to remove" with something that painful?! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 3 views
Recent Topics