Smelling bleach or ammonia after excercise?

kikidoll
on 4/15/13 11:02 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13

So I've been trying to walk at least 40 minutes 4 times a week at the gym or around my neighborhood and tonight when me and my boyfriend went out this happened.  I've noticed this before but kept forgetting to post about it.  Anyway, I've noticed that most times after a long fast paced walk, I can smell bleach or ammonia really strongly if I take deep breaths through my nose.  It started after surgery....what's up with this? anyone have it happen to them?

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

mommaontheloose
on 4/15/13 12:48 pm - MI
I smell ammonia when I exercise really hard, but it's not new. I had it happen before surgery as well. I've never been given a good explanation for it and I have mentioned it to several of my physicians.
I do think that I notice it less now that I am about 6 months post op and I'm down to about 160 lbs.
I hope someone else can offer some insight on exactly why this happens.
Jennifer

LadyLilMax
on 4/15/13 2:06 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Could it be like a ketosis which is where they want us for a few months after weight loss surgery.  At 4 months I notice it less and less even though I am exercising more. 

Maybe you could get some of those strips they sell at the drugstore to see if you are in ketosis?  Dunno, just a thought.

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

kikidoll
on 4/16/13 12:08 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13

Thanks! I asked in my class today for moving to stage 3 foods and she told me that it WAS ketosis and that it was the ketones exiting my body through sweat!  Said it wasn't a bad thing so I'm no longer concerned :)

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

LadyLilMax
on 4/16/13 1:11 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Sounds great and good luck, and so glad you are no longer worried!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

Most Active
Recent Topics