Slow Loser

Megan S.
on 4/17/13 12:32 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

So I went to my 6wk follow up today and the doctor said I'm a slow loser. I've only lost 16lbs since surgery. I lost 13 during liquid diet. I was happy with this till he said that now I'm worried. I eat all my protein but will admit, I'm having trouble getting all my water in. I sip all day long and still don't get more than 40oz. I exercise also.  Any suggestions?

Also as a side note, during my years of dieting I've always been a slow loser...is it going to be the same even with surgery?

Thanks for input!!

~Megan

MyLady Heidi
on 4/17/13 12:36 am

That's nice the ******g doctor bursts your bubble right off the bat.  Keep doing what you are doing and working your surgery and you will lose weight even if it is slower then other people, it is your body and it does things the way it needs too, rather it heard the rapid weight schedule or not.  It took me 2.5 years to make my goal of 138lbs, but I did and I am still here 8 years later.  It isn't a race to the finish line, it is a learning experience to set yourself up for lifelong success.

Good Luck!

Melsloss
on 6/12/13 6:08 am

Wow, I so needed to see this today!  I am 8 weeks out and was worried I am losing at a very slow rate as I was comparing myself to others on the board.  I need to lose 111 total from the day of surgery.  I am on track based on the example and it makes so much sense.  Why I was comparing myself to people who have over 200 pounds to lose made absolutely zero sense.  Thanks for posting!!!!  I am going to just follow my plan and focus on making the lifestyle changes I need to make to be successful in this new life!!!

Suzi S.
on 4/17/13 12:37 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 01/14/13

Megan:

I know its tough but you are doing fine.  From what I can tell, you don't have as much weight to lose, and it's all about the percentages.  I've copied the following from a posting on the Light Weight Forum.  Hope this helps.

===============================================================================

I've seen several people wondering this...some might, don't get me wrong but in general we lose as fast or faster than our heavyweight brethren.

We need to stop comparing ourselves to the heavyweights...which is really hard on the surgery boards when they say they've lost 100 lbs in 6 months and we are "slowly"  down just 50/60 lbs.

Remember tho, we ARE lightweights...we simply do not have as much to lose.

When thinking you aren't losing fast enough, read this...and if necessary, read it again and again.

It's not POUNDS, it's PERCENTAGES!

by Carolyn M.

Two people, both 6 months post-op. One has lost only 63 pounds and feels bad about her "slow" weight loss. The other has lost 96 pounds and thinks she's doing great.

They are both wrong.

Person A had only 105 excess pounds, so she has already lost 60% of her excess weight. She is actually ahead of the game at 6 months out and is on track to lose it ALL.

Person B had 265 excess pounds. At 6 months out she has only lost 36% of her excess weight. At this rate, she will end up retaining 28% of her excess weight, enough to keep her in the obese category.

See what I mean? Don't compare pounds to pounds, that's like apples and oranges.

Percent of excess weight lost: pounds lost divided by total excess pounds
Use a BMI of 25 as a goal weight

On track to lose it all is 25% lost after 2 months, 50% after 6 months, and 80% at one year.

Please note: These are averages. Your mileage may vary.

RNY:  1/14/2013, HW:  220, SW: 207, CW:  182.8, GW:  125

gabbie3275
on 4/17/13 2:45 am

thats a great example!

Megan S.
on 4/17/13 1:00 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Thank you ladies...I was thinking the same thing, but sometimes you just need reassurance!! I guess after all the failures, it's hard to believe this is actually going to work!!! Thanks again!!

~Megan

robyn_fresh
on 4/17/13 3:54 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Wow, I'm doing horribly then? I started at 414 and am down to 339 at 4 months.

Megan S.
on 4/17/13 5:01 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Your doing wonderful...you've lost 75lbs!!!

robyn_fresh
on 4/17/13 6:55 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Yes, but that is only 19% at 4 months and according to the poster above, I should have lost 25% by 2 months?

Megan S.
on 4/17/13 10:31 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

I don't really care how long it takes me as long as that scale is going down and not up. Which is what it would be doing had we not done this for ourselves! I'm proud of my slow weight loss and you should be too. We will get there..may be longer than others, but we will get there!!

~Megan

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 495 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 563 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 552 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 274 views