Bathroom issues TMI

mercedes66693
on 4/17/13 3:25 am

Ok everyone i'm 3 weeks out today and I've been having issues going #2.  My Dr. told me to use dulcolax which I have been every other day but is this something I'm going to have to take for the rest of my life?  I just want to be able to go the bathroom on my own with no assistance anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

MrsLitch
on 4/17/13 4:06 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I am one of the unlucky ones who will probably need MoM daily forever nothing else works for me. Many find adding fiber and or miralax works. Others its resolved once they are getting more veggies. Start with something non habit forming like fiber or miralax or stool softeners and see if you can get it under control

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

unewillow
on 4/17/13 4:15 am - CT

Things will eventually return to normal, but a lot of people struggle during the first several months to regulate their BMs. Things that will help:

WATER, WATER, WATER...best stool softener in the world. If you're dehydrated the first place you reabsorb is your colon, making your stools harder, lessening the colon's natural lubrication, and making it difficult and painful to poop.

FIBER, start mixing some Fiber One or Metamucil or something into your water until you are at a stage where you are getting enough through your food. Even then, a little extra fiber is not a bad thing.

But yes, right after surgery (especially if you are still on narcotic pain killers, which slow your GI tract down) you are going to have some constipation issues. Stool softeners like Colace and Dulcolax will help in the short term, but no you shouldn't have to rely on them forever.

ywalton
on 4/17/13 7:35 am - Sycamore, OH
RNY on 02/18/13

I am 2 months out and still having problems with #2, I use miralax in the morning and stool softeners in the evening. I have to use a liquid stool softener cause Colace is to large for me take. Everyone is different so you will have to try different things and ask your DR too.

funkyphillygirl
on 4/17/13 1:26 pm

Totally agree about this and just posted elsewhere about it.  I had ongoing constipation during the first 11-12 months.  Water, exercise, stool softeners and sugar free fiber tabs in combo seemed to help over time.  I then had to have my gall bladder out at a year out and have never had issues since - in fact, I sometimes have the opposite issue.  It does take a while to your rerouted gut figures this stuff out.  Try to make sure you are getting some fiber now and again, or at least, a supplement.  It will take a while, but it will fix itself.

Good luck!

mydragonmoon
on 4/17/13 6:31 pm
RNY on 02/14/13 with

Ugh. I am about 9 weeks out and it just barely is starting to get easier. They don't tell you this in post op. For weeks I would be sitting on the toilet crying because it just hurt so much to go number 2.  My Dr. told me to drink some prune juice. I had to water it down because it was just too sweet. But now that I am on normal foods and can eat some fruits and veggies its a bit better now. Hang in there and it will hopefully subside. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 270 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 200 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 267 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 139 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 200 views