Almost 3 years out and need help!

hotairpeg
on 4/21/13 5:19 am - Amity, OR

My surgery date was 07-14-2010. I never met my goal weight and now I've started to gain - up 12 lbs. Stopped taking the Primatene and other drugs to up my metabolism because I had been taking them for at least 2 years without much weight loss and didn't like the idea of taking all those drugs. I go to Curves at least 2 times a week and walk about 2 miles once each week. My eating habits have gone down hill. I eat way too many carbs and sweets. Today (04-21-13) is my first day trying the 5 day pouch test. I really need to increase my lean body mass and don't really know how to do it. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement and ideas to help me get back on the path. I didn't go through the RNY just to start gaining weight! HELP!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/13 5:37 am - OH

I despise the 5DPT (for both physical and psychological reasons).  What works long term is not fad diets and the diet-deprivation- surrender (then regain) mentality that things like the 5DPT encourage), but is a protein forward, limited carb food plan and some type of physical activity (for those who are able).  

You already know you eat too many carbs, so the first thing to do is cut out ALL "white carbs" (pasta, rice, white (or non whole grain) flour products, and products with a lot of refined sugar).  Limit your carbs to healthy ones: veggies, beans, whole grains, dairy, and some fruits (easy on the fruit, though).  Make sure you are getting in all of your protein and that you are not drinking with meals.  Double check your portion sizes to be sure you are not just eating too much (as we go through the years it is very easy to let portion sizes creep up).  You will probably find that just eliminating the white carbs (which you can do without going back to liquids!) will help a lot.  That is what I do when my weight creeps up to my self-imposed 5 pound limit, and in a couple of weeks the 5 pounds is gone.

Weight training builds more muscle than cardio activities, but the cardio will help increase your metabolism more (so a combination of he two is optimal).

You CAN get those 12 pounds back off and get back on track.  You just need to go back to basics.  Eat like you did when you were about 6 months out (just somewhat larger portions).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 4/21/13 7:34 am - OH

I'm with Lora about the five day pouch test.  I don't see how it helps you get back on the path, unless the path you want to get on is one of fad diets with a long list of off limits food.   that's not the path I want to be on and not the path most of us are aiming for after WLS.

If you want to increase lean body mass, you need more exercise and more protein.  Clean out your kitchen, get rid of the sweets and starchy carbs, and replace those with lean protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Steen16
on 4/21/13 9:14 am - Cape Coral, FL

Hi, I thought I'd put in my two cents as we're less than two weeks apart on surgery dates. For me, I did make goal and actually 8 pounds below that. I've kept it all off with little difficulty. That is, until now. I've noticed that old mental habits have creeped up and I'm finding myself unconsciously doing things I did pre-surgery: Tasting while cooking, portion size slowly growing, thinking about food ALL of the time. I know what to do to get myself back on track and that is just like the other said, I get rid of what I know will be a problem for me in the house. I can't seem to control myself with sweet items, although they are all sugar-free. The only sweet I'm allowing myself is Healthy Choice fudge bars. I know I'll only have one a day and be satisfied. For the portion control, I'm back to measuring foods to keep me on track. Exercise was one thing I added very recently. I'm doing zumba twice a week at my school and then using arm weights and bands about three times a week. I also walk once in a while. 

Since we're all so very different, all I can offer is the advice to take back control. For me, it's 75% mental and 25% physical. I know that's what I need to do. I too have a weight gain limit and that's 4 pounds. I'm there right now and will cut my portions to make sure I get back to where I belong. It takes about two weeks, but I really have to remind myself to be patient and get back to the basics. 

Be blessed and believe in yourself!

Highest ever: 297
Pre-Op: 272 (height: 5' 7")
As of November 3rd: 159 (6 BELOW goal!!!!)
Goal: 165 
Pants size: 10  Shirt size: M

AliciaDDG
on 4/21/13 12:41 pm

You and I almost have the same date. I lost 3 lbs below goal, but have gained back 30lbs. My husband dieted and exercised and he lost 170 lbs, half his body weight. He has gained back 60. We have the goal of losing again. I want to lose 30 and he wants to lose at least 50. Good luck. Good luck to us too. It is hard.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 379 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 351 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 313 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 104 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 13 views
Recent Topics