Prepared meal plans

jlewis1981
on 4/24/13 11:35 am - FL

I was wondering if anyone, post-surgery has tried any of the prepared meal programs like NutriSystem or MediFast?

I am always on the go and it would be so much easier for me to do something like this, and was interested in some of your thoughts. 

I was looking at NS and it looks like the foods are carb heavy, which as we know isn't the best for us. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hope all is well for everyone!

-Jeff

BWB
on 4/24/13 12:36 pm

NutriSystem advertises a meal plan for diabetics and I looked into it pre RNY but it had so many bad foods that I was pretty ticked off.  I'm not sure where you live but Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, and you may have other shops in your area that specialize in carry out/prepared meals that I think you could do better with them.  They are a more personalized type of stores also and you should talk to them and find a person that will be willing to prepare some recipes for you.  It would be a good idea for them to have health happy customers. All the shops that I mentioned are beautiful stores and fun to shop all the fresh produce and meat counters.  It isn't hard to plan your menus and spend a day or a couple of nights cooking and freezing enough for a couple of weeks at a time.  Make large quantities and while you have the oven going put in a couple of roasts or chickens for use later.  Star****ching the cooking shows on TV and it will give you ideas and get you in the mood to cook.  Good luck.

65rosesmom
on 4/24/13 12:37 pm

I can't imagine that this would be a good call for a post op....not only are those meals heavy in carbs and not high enough in protein, but they are heavily processed, chemical laden and lack any representation of the fresh foods they started out as.  If you are always on the go, you can get a whole rotisserie chicken at the grocery store for $5 or so and you will have enough meat for a week full of dinners.  Get a few portions of steamed vegetables or a salad bar salad and you have dinner for a week.   

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

MrsLitch
on 4/24/13 12:58 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Jeff I prefer to make my own tv type dinners by taking the time to cook up stuff and freeze it in containers with the appropriate serving sizes. If I cook shake and bake chicken I make a whole pan and whatever the family doesn't eat I freeze individual pieces. I also make meatloaf cupcakes, google it for recipe, they are made incupcake tins which are a half cup even, or I bake a ham and freeze the slices in portion sizes w can eat. If you want you can cook up several in one evening or each time you cook add to the frozen stockpile for variety.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

surfmind
on 4/24/13 2:45 pm
I looked at the atkins frozen meals...sodium was ridiculous....my doc says they are a no go ..
Karen R.
on 4/24/13 3:51 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Could you maybe go with a Seattle Sutton or some other prepared meal company who could tailor their meals to your specific situation?  I think the out of the box solutions aren't going to work as well for our surgery.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LadyLilMax
on 4/24/13 9:57 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Jeff, agreed with all the posts.

What I found helpful was to make a meal plan and there are many already made on here and then plug in easy stuff like canned tuna, rotisserie chicken, beans etc and add fresh salad or fruit as needed.  I still drink my protein shake just cuz I love it and I am not a morning eater so it is my breakfast.  There are those shaker bottles to make the protein shakes in so you could maybe shake and go? 

Good luck and you look like you are doing just great!  Keep us posted.  It is such a new way of eating and thinking of food, isn't it? 

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

jlewis1981
on 4/25/13 5:25 am - FL

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. 

Looks as if I am going to make some trips to WFM and Trader Joe's to see what I can find.

-Jeff

RonSudol
on 4/25/13 7:30 am - NJ

THIS is a meal prep

not that sodium filled dog**** that comes prepackaged.. do yourself a favor and dont eat that crap.. make your own food, cheaper, safer, healthier, better...

always on the go? get tupperware... lol..

if you are that busy, then i suggest you change your life.. health first

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views