Kidney Stones

yvonnef
on 4/25/13 4:28 am

Has anyone suffered Kidney Stones since their surgery? I have battled with it for the past several months, was tested and just told that I am having them because of the RNY surgery. Just wondering if there are anyone else out there that is having or had problems since surgery and what they are doing to help combat that? Mine are calcium oxalate.

Yvonne 
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength"
Philippians 4:13

poet_kelly
on 4/25/13 4:29 am - OH

Make sure you are taking calcium citrate, not calcium carbonate.  Carbonate can cause kidney stones, while citrate actually helps prevent them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 4/25/13 4:34 am

I've seen this posted on OH and a FB group I'm in.  Those that have dealt with it swear drinking lemon aid has helped them.  Something about the natural citrate helping prevent future stones.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

yvonnef
on 4/25/13 4:59 am

Thank you both, I did find out on an old post about calcium carbonate. That is what I have been using. I am switching back to bariatric advantage calcium citrate. My urologist told me to be careful about the sugar in lemonade. I have upped my lemon water though. Thanks for the info!

Yvonne 
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength"
Philippians 4:13

poet_kelly
on 4/25/13 7:13 am - OH

You may want to get a bone density scan done, then.  Since we can't absorb calcium carbonate and need calcium citrate, your bones may be in poor shape if you've been taking carbonate for very long.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/25/13 5:17 am - OH

The calcium carbonate seems to cause kidney stones very easily in us.  I changed multivitamins for a while to one with less calcium carbonate because I have had two verififed incidents of kidney stones in 6 years since my RNY (and never had one before surgery).  I am back to the Centrum, but have either a UTI or kidney stones again!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jjordan3
on 4/25/13 7:59 am - greenfield, IN
RNY on 03/25/13

I am dealing right now with kidney stones, I am going to have to get this one removed by the urologist.  I have had kidney stones for years, so the fact that the risk is increased by the surgery is kind of scary to me.  Sigh.

Surgery Date: March 25, 2013

beverlyp
on 4/25/13 9:52 pm

You know its just mind boggling at all the things that RNY patients are not informed about before the surgery.   I saw NUTs and surgeons for a solid year before having the surgery and not once was the kidney stone issue mentioned.  I have been plagued with them since I was fourteen years old.  I generally passed at least 1 a year until I started having kids after that is slowed down to 1 every 5-8.  Mine are calcium oxalate.  I am stopping the vitamins NOW, I will take my d3 b1 and b2 but no more of the others.  You know when they told me to take a calcium supplement I actually told them I couldn't because I can't tolerate calcium because of the stones, and they ignored me like I wasn't even talking. 

Most Active
Recent Topics