solids at 9 days post op

bernice30
on 4/26/13 1:05 pm
RNY on 04/17/13

okay I didnt want to ask this. I searched for older posts, no dice. I didnt want to ask because of the harsh critical responses I may get but here goes.  okay at my post op my doc said go ahead and eat things the consistancy of baby foods. well I just refuse to puree meat etc it grosses me out. Well so i thought what if I puree with my mouth? so I have had ground beef mixed with sour cream I have had a slice of turkey with cheese wrapped around it. and mushy veggies and other soft foods. I am happy to report I have felt no effects at all. I can actually eat kinda quick to. that is an accident. I try to slow down. I guess what my question is am I doing wrong? will I have slower weight loss? will I mess myself up? Seriously if anyone could flubb this up it would be me. I just went through all of this and I just dont want to mess things up. Also I can consume a quarter a cup of food maybe a tiny more. Anyhow thanks for listening and responses.

honestlinzel
on 4/26/13 1:10 pm - CA

I think the reason they have you puree stuff first, is because sometimes when we eat and do it ourself pieces can slip through. This can cause a lot of pain. I have the same issue with eating quickly. It is a huge problem. I have only gotten sick twice, but to be fair I barely eat solid foods/soft foods still. I am 14 days out and terrified to eat. :(

Most people say when you start on pureed foods you go through a stall. Expect that soon! I would just be very careful if I were you. Getting sick sucks. :(

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

AnchorsAweigh
on 4/26/13 1:26 pm

My surgery was April 17th and I've been on pureed food since day two. I've had absolutely no problems except I'm so bored with yogurt and jello... What kinds of foods are on other's pureed plans? Is humus okay? I'm too afraid to radically break the rules yet, although hearing how we you're doing is inspirational.

honestlinzel
on 4/26/13 1:34 pm - CA
On April 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM Pacific Time, AnchorsAweigh wrote:

My surgery was April 17th and I've been on pureed food since day two. I've had absolutely no problems except I'm so bored with yogurt and jello... What kinds of foods are on other's pureed plans? Is humus okay? I'm too afraid to radically break the rules yet, although hearing how we you're doing is inspirational.

Hummus is great!, refried beans with cheese and sour cream, chicken salad with lowfat mayo, tuna salad with lowfat mayo, most soups blended to a thinner consistency.

I cannot remember what else haha

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

MrsLitch
on 4/26/13 5:16 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

you can purree just about anything. I loved my pureed garlic steak!

If you'd like ideas for the different stages google bariatric foodie, and world according to eggface for two great blogs with recipes!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Angela_Italiana
on 4/26/13 2:11 pm - CA
RNY on 03/04/13
Actually, my surgeon didnt want me to purée anything in a blender. He wanted me to get used to eating small bites and chewing thoroughly on my own, creating the habit from early on. I generally suggest following your own surgeons rules, but if you do keep on this way just be sure to be very aware of how much is going in your mouth and that you are chewing well. It's easy to swallow big pieces when we are distracted.
Good luck
MrsLitch
on 4/26/13 5:24 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I am one who typically says stick to your doctors plan. I get it that pureed food doesn't look appealing but it tastes the same as it did before you stick it in the processor so I had no problem pureeing my food, that way I got to eat just about any meat I wanted including steak!

If you are going to count on your mouth to puree the foods for you I'd stick to soft foods which is probably going to be the next stage you go to anyway. I don't know that I would do it for every meal though. I wouldn't want to push my pouch too hard too fast. You can always have greek yogurt which is technically pureed consistency. You can also check out Bariatric Foodie and World According to Egg Face blogs for great recipes at every stage. Just google either one of them.

If you like italian food check out ricotta bake on eggface's blog, no pureeing required but it is the right consistency!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

dahoodman
on 4/26/13 9:47 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I've been pretty much doing the same thing as you, but not so much with burger because it's harder to chew to a puree in your mouth. Chicken and tuna no problem. I have had no issues with doing this as far as problems in my stomach or with weight loss. Make sure you take SMALL bites so there is less chance of something big getting through, take about a minute between bites and that will help you slow way down. I take 20-30 minutes to eat my meals. It kills me to do it because I know I could have my new small meals down in about 2 bites normally.

I think one of the main reasons for not throwing down big pieces of food right away is to prevent things from getting stuck because your incision is still healing where your stomach and intestine are sewn together so the opening may be a little smaller right now. Also, big pieces may irritate that opening causing more swelling and more problems.

One thing I do with my tuna and chicken if it's going to be in "salad" form with mayo and stuff, is I use one of those "chopper" things where you put the meat under it and you hit your palm on the top of the chopper and it pushes these blades down and rotates them at the same time. You know what I'm talking about? The sell them from Pampered Chef and I think they're in stores now too. My wife got it years ago and we use it for onions and nuts and celery and stuff but now I use it to chop chicken and tuna. If I'm going to eat a baked chicken breast though I just bake it and cut pieces off with a knife, chew chew chew. Do make sure you have some papaya enzyme handy too though. I ran across some dry chicken and I knew right away that my stomach was going to have issues. I took 4 of those just after eating and never had any problems. Even that "funny" feeling that prompted me to take them went away soon after.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

bernice30
on 4/27/13 1:51 am
RNY on 04/17/13

Thank you for all the responses. I dont feel so bad now. I just dont wanna mess up my stomach or my weight loss. I will stick to easier to chew foods and I gotta figure out what papaya enzyme is :) thanks guys.

dahoodman
on 4/28/13 10:29 am, edited 4/29/13 8:47 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Read through this thread for more information:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/RNY/4350955/papaya-enzyme- question/

They sell it at GNC, amazon and I'm sure a whole lot of other places.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Recent Topics