Magnesium for constipation

mpjones
on 4/27/13 2:05 am

For those of you who use Magnesium for constipation some questions. How many mg's do you take? How often--once a day- twice? Morning? Evening? Both? Every day?

Back ground--up until a month ago was super regular--every morning without fail. The past month -HORRIBLE !! Taking miralax every day but not helping. Tried OTC laxative--just about tore my insides apart. Sorry for all the extra information but thought it would help answering my questions. Thanks for the help.

MrsLitch
on 4/27/13 5:19 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I have tried every variation of every medicine I think. The doctor had me on fiber and miralax at the same time, nothing worked except Milk of Magnesia. I have to take it at this point to have a BM. I am seeing a GI now to help determine if I am going to be laxative dependent for life or if there is something else I can do. I wish you luck. For me though the only thing that works is a dose of MoM each night. I can skip a day but I won't have a BM the next day. So for me I do two days on 1 day off.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

rocky513
on 4/27/13 9:03 am - WI

I take 500 mg of magnesium oxide daily.  I split it up into two doses, morning and night.  I also take Benefiber twice a day, morning and night.  I am almost never constipated following this routine.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics