CPAP users - excessive dry mouth?

Kat1313
on 4/29/13 4:51 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Has anyone experienced an increase in dry mouth when using your CPAP since surgery?  I've been waking up several times a night with my mouth just parched ever since surgery.  I do use the humidifier on the machine, and turned it up, but it doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas why this might be occurring and/or how to alleviate it?

Thanks,

Kathy

jenorama
on 4/29/13 5:11 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I've had a drier mouth than usual since I've had a CPAP, which has been about 6 weeks or so.  I turned up the temp for more moisture, but I think the main culprit is that I keep my tongue glued to the roof of my mouth to keep the air from coming out of my mouth.  According to my husband, sometimes I do have the air coming out of my mouth, so that might be contributing also.  Maybe you're having the same thing happen?  I haven't used a chinstrap yet, but I might have to go that route.  I have to keep a glass of water nearby and take a sip if I wake up with a dry mouth.  It's definitely sucky!  :D

Jen

LadyLurkin
on 4/29/13 7:54 pm - Junction City, KS

Kathy,  I never really had an issue with the dry mouth until I was post-op.  I don't know the reason but I finally bought glycerin swabs, like they use in hospital.  That has helped but I also have nights that it isn't quite enough so I keep a glass of water on the night stand too.  I gave up trying to figure just what caused it.  I know this wasn't much help, but I think this is normal for many CPAP users. 

cathy

Kat1313
on 4/29/13 8:57 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

LadyLurkin,

Where did you find the swabs?  That sounds like a good idea,

Kathy

Debbie C.
on 4/29/13 8:45 pm - Bradford, MA
RNY on 10/10/12

I have had the same problem as well. You could try Biotene mouthspray, or Biotene mouthwa**** helps a little, but I still have to keep water next to my bed.

dahoodman
on 4/29/13 9:08 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Since you have lost 83 pounds you likely need to have another sleep study done. I know, what a PITA, right? So most likely your pressure is too high and that is now causing you to open your mouth in the middle of the night. You find after a study that you don't need your CPAP any more. Most overweight people that have sleep apnea have OBSTRUCTIVE sleep apnea. The weight of the chest and neck areas push down on the throat and such and that's what causes it. By losing the weight it is often times eliminated. You should have a study done to make sure it is gone before you decide to ditch the CPAP though.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Katie K.
on 4/29/13 8:47 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Pre op, use a mask that covers my nose and mouth because I can't keep my mouth shut even with a chin strap. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Kat1313
on 4/29/13 8:55 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.  I do have a mask that covers my mouth, as I do sleep with it open and the chin strap didn't really help.  I also keep a glass of water on my nightstand but it just doesn't seem to be very refreshing.  Will try the Biotene, thanks!

Kathy

dahoodman
on 4/29/13 9:01 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

You are opening your mouth while you are sleeping. I've been on CPAP for about 10 years now and that is definitely your culprit. Sometimes a chin strap will work and sometimes you need to change to a full mask over your nose and mouth. I personally pushed through it and eventually I stopped doing it. I use nose pillows. Every now and then I still do it though. Try a chin strap before you go all out and change up masks especially if the mask you have is comfortable for you.

If this is something new you may also find that as you lose weight, the pressure of your CPAP may need to be adjusted and that could be what is now causing you to open your mouth. If you have an Ears/Nose/Throat ENT doctor you may talk with him/her to see what can be done. Perhaps he/she can recommend taking your pressure down a little. After you lose to your goal, you will definitely want to have another sleep study done to see if you even need your CPAP any more.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Mrs_Stimpy
on 4/30/13 7:39 am
RNY on 12/20/12

YES, this happens to me too.  I've turned the humidifier up and it doesn't help.  Not sure why it happens.

Good luck to all of us on our journeys! 

Highest - 222 / Pre-Surgery - 215 / Goal 150

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics