Night sweats?

tammym
on 5/5/13 4:30 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I'm 46 and had RNY in 1/16/2012. I'm @ goal, BMI 22.4. I fight hard not to re-gain but it's a daily struggle.

My insomnia and diabetes have both gotten worse, and for the past 6 months, I've had HORRIBLE night sweats. I wake up completely soaked at least every two hours. I have to sleep on towels. If I forget to load up the bed with towels to switch out each time, I can't go back to sleep at all because of the puddle. I'm freezing during the daytime. It was 90 degrees yesterday and I was wearing a long sleeved thick coat. I thought it could be menopause, but my Doctor ran all the tests and says that is not it and doesn't have any thoughts on what could be causing it. I used to take iron, calcium, multivitamin, extra b12, and an amino acid supplement but I stopped in hopes of getting some sleep.  I tried taking some menopause supplements with black cohosh but it didn't help at all. 

My exercise program is doing very well. After losing 75% of my weight, I started "couch to 5k." last September.  Now I run 20 miles a week, training for a marathon. But my runs have gotten WAY slower and I'm very fatigued and achy. My neck/upper back hurts. Ankles and knees ache, annoying pain at the top of my pelvis, almost into my hip or very lower back.  Shoulders hurt. I get headaches a lot. 

My hair has fallen out too, more than half of it, which was expected. I've also had some major irritability, but so far no depression.  I picked up some St. Johns wort and might start taking that. 

Advice would be greatly appreciated! My current doc has no experience with WLS and basically acts like I'm just a hypochondriac. I can't go back to my old doc because my ins. changed. 

cajungirl
on 5/5/13 5:20 am
When were your last labs? Do you have copies, if so can you post the range and your number? Have you had your thyroid levels checked?

Do you check your sugar level? What is a typical day of meals and snacks?

Would you please elaborate on your diabetes had gotten worse? Thuroid problems, sugar dropping and iron deficiency would be where I would start looking.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MrsLitch
on 5/5/13 5:28 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
What do your labs look like? What made you go off your vitamins and how long have you been off? If you haven't had your labs drawn lately I'd do that immediately, post them here we have very knowledgeable vets who can help you understand where the numbers need to be for an rnyer, since your doc doesn't have experience they may not know where they need to be. I'd also consider going back to my surgeon for an office visit even if it meant paying out of pocket for his opinion.

I hope you consider taking at least your two multi a day in case part of it is a deficiency you don't want to make it worse.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

poet_kelly
on 5/5/13 6:27 am - OH

You thought your vitamins were keeping you from sleeping?  That's not likely, but if you've been off all vitamins for a while, it is likely you now have several nutritional deficiencies.  You're due for 18 month post op labs in a month, so you might want to go ahead and do those now.  Make sure you get everything checked since you haven't be taking vitamins, including D, B12, A, E, K, zinc, copper, selenium, B6, folate, thiamine, iron, ferritin, and PTH.

Iron deficiency could be making you cold.

If your diabetes is worse, the night sweats may well be due to low blood sugar.  Have you checked your sugar when you wake up all sweaty?  If it is low sugar, eating a protein snack right before bed may help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tammym
on 5/5/13 6:35 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

Thanks for your response! 

My current doc and former docs, including the surgeon, checked my thyroid levels multiple times and said I don’t have a thyroid problem so they aren’t going to run those tests again. I consider diabetes to be getting worse because A1C number is climbing, while fasting glucose is higher, and low glucose levels are getting lower. I check my glucose several times per day. AM Fasting level is 200-300; after eating it ranges from 40-150.

A typical day is several servings of yogurt. One or two cups of coffee with 2%, no sugar. One or two salads. Soup for lunch. High protein dinner with veggies. Very little starch or grains.

I stopped the vitamins, including the iron, about a week ago, in my efforts to calm the intolerable night sweats.

My husband isn’t working right now, and I bring home around just under $1000 per month, so with one child in college, one adult child living with me, and one in high school; a self-pay visit to go back to the surgeon isn’t an option.

Labs 4/24/13

Cholesterol

Triglyceride

HDL Chol

LDL Direct

Estradiol

LH

MicroAlbumin, urine

Creatinine Urine

MicroAlb/Creat Ratio, Urine

FSH

HbA1c