Was this the norm for anyone else?

guttedgrace
on 5/21/13 4:06 pm
RNY on 05/02/13

I had my surgery May 2nd, so this coming Thursday I will be 3 weeks out. I have lost about 8 pounds total since I had my surgery. I know to expect stalls, but I didn't think I would be stalling right out of the gate. Did anyone else experience this slow weight loss right after the surgery? I know all about the 3 weeks stall, but I'm not even at the full 3 weeks yet! I try to walk everyday and have started going back to the gym. I have a hard time getting all my protein in, but have been working hard to get at least 50g. I am trying to have 60+ grams, as I know I should. If anyone has any advice or insight please let me know.

PS: I brought this up with my NUT when I saw her last Friday and she said she was proud of me because I've lost 29% of my excess body fat since my visit to the clinic on March 1. I lost about 30 pounds before the surgery. I was very happy to hear that I've lost that much body fat, but it was all done before the surgery. Why does nothing seem to be happening right now? I expected my weight loss to be slower since I lost that much weight pre-op. Right now it just seems like I'm losing weight at the pace I did before surgery.

Sorry if I sound like a paranoid nutcase. I'm just wondering if anyone else experienced the same kind of weight loss as I am right now. Thank you!

Dee.spunk
on 5/21/13 4:39 pm - Sacramento, CA
Yes, you're normal. I lost a lot of weight before surgery and was a little upset when after surgery, my weight loss was slower than before my surgery. But at the end , I still lost what I needed to lose. You just need to continue what you're doing and stick to your plan.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Kat Kat
on 5/21/13 4:43 pm - AZ
It's normal and you're doing fine. If you continue to use the scale as a gage for measuring your success right now, it will be a long nerve wracking journey for you.Relax and work on changing habits.

Kat

honestlinzel
on 5/21/13 6:10 pm - CA
I had the same thing happen. I started out at my first clinic visit 311lbs, day of surgery was 284. (They wanted me at 290)
This made my weight loss slower. It's getting better for me though. It's hard to see people say they lost 25lbs their first few weeks etc though.

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

MultiMom
on 5/21/13 9:07 pm - NH

You have lost more than I did on my first 3 weeks. I don't know where you started off, but to already have lost almost a third of your excess weight is phenomenal!! My surgeon told me at my first post-op visit to expect a average weekly loss of 2 to 3 pounds. I really did almost cry thinking "I had surgery for THIS?!?!?!". Well, he was right...... BUT, I wasn't thinking that 2-3 pounds a week (average, not every week) worked out to me hitting my original goal of 140 at about 6 months. That is exactly 2.5 pounds a week average weight loss. I did keep going and found that 115 was great for me (who would have thunk it kiss) and have maintained it for 4 years now.

Keep trying for the protein and make sure to keep the liquids at about 64 ounces a day. You are doing GREAT!! Remember, they send you home from the hospital (probably) weighing more than when you went in.

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

VintageChick
on 5/21/13 10:39 pm
I'm not even hopping on the scales expecting a good, true reading for a month following surgery. IV fluids and water retention seem to be wreaking havoc on my scales. My surgery was the 15th.
Mary Catherine
on 5/22/13 12:06 am

Eight pounds in two weeks is great.  Weight loss is usually like before surgery, the only difference is that this time we have a much better chance of keeping that weight off.  Dieters almost always gain back all their weight.  This is an average but gives you a realistic expectation of what will happen over the next year.  The 30 pounds lost before the surgery might make the beginning month a little slower.

Average weight loss after surgery is 100 pounds in one year

Month 1 – 20 pounds

Months 2-6 – 10 pounds

Months 7-12 – 5 pounds

Louise1974
on 5/22/13 2:12 am

Same thing happened to me.  I lost very slowly for the first two months.  i didn't really start losing until I started eating more.  I think I lost one pound a week the first two months.  It isn't a stall if you are losing sweetie.  It is okay, give yourself time.  It was so scary for me to trust this tool when other tools had failed me so badly before.  My husband (who didn't have his gd intestines re routed) lost more than me the first month just by cutting out sugar LOL.  I wanted to kill hijm.  just keep following your plan.  I am 8 months out and have lost 95 pounds.  NINETY-FIVE!!!!!  I am wearing a size SIX pant right now.  SIZE SIX!!!!!!  You are on your way, just keep following your plan.  You will get there. 

PetHairMagnet
on 5/22/13 6:00 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On May 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM Pacific Time, Louise1974 wrote:

Same thing happened to me.  I lost very slowly for the first two months.  i didn't really start losing until I started eating more.  I think I lost one pound a week the first two months.  It isn't a stall if you are losing sweetie.  It is okay, give yourself time.  It was so scary for me to trust this tool when other tools had failed me so badly before.  My husband (who didn't have his gd intestines re routed) lost more than me the first month just by cutting out sugar LOL.  I wanted to kill hijm.  just keep following your plan.  I am 8 months out and have lost 95 pounds.  NINETY-FIVE!!!!!  I am wearing a size SIX pant right now.  SIZE SIX!!!!!!  You are on your way, just keep following your plan.  You will get there. 

Oh my goodness, I cannot even imagine that. My mind cannot even see that for me. WOW, that is awesome! Thank you for sharing this!!

guttedgrace
on 5/22/13 5:57 am
RNY on 05/02/13

Thank you for the words of encouragement everyone! I just got discouraged because it seems people tend to lose 15-25 lbs in the first few weeks, so I thought maybe something was off. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Y'all made me feel better .

Most Active
Recent Topics