Is it normal?

LittleRedAries
on 5/25/13 12:56 am - Uxbridge, MA
RNY on 04/24/13

Hi Everyone -

I'm 4 weeks out, down 21 pounds and feel amazing.  I just started regular foods and was wondering if anyone knows if it is normal to be able to eat more of one thing than another?  For example...one protein bar fills me up, but last night for dinner I had two medium bbq ribs, meat cooked softly lots of sauce and about a tablespoon of coleslaw.  I feel like I sometimes eat more than I should be...does anyone have any input or experience with this?? thanks!

Sara O.
on 5/25/13 1:26 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I think we all have that "am i eating too much?" anxiety early out. Even now at 14+ months postop I wonder if I eat too much but I am doing fine. I think that as long as you follow your surgeon's guidelines you're fine. The thing about protein bars is that they are more dense than other foods and that is why you can't eat more than one.

Dee.spunk
on 5/25/13 2:06 am - Sacramento, CA
I just make sure I keep measuring my portions to make sure I don't over eat. But, yeah, I could eat about a cup of say, chili, no problem, but only 2-3 ounces of steak. The denser the protein the quicker I get full.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

mpjones
on 5/25/13 4:25 am
On May 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM Pacific Time, LittleRedAries wrote:

Hi Everyone -

I'm 4 weeks out, down 21 pounds and feel amazing.  I just started regular foods and was wondering if anyone knows if it is normal to be able to eat more of one thing than another?  For example...one protein bar fills me up, but last night for dinner I had two medium bbq ribs, meat cooked softly lots of sauce and about a tablespoon of coleslaw.  I feel like I sometimes eat more than I should be...does anyone have any input or experience with this?? thanks!

Da**, I'm 8 months out and I couldn't get in the tablespoon of coleslaw let alone 2 ribs ! I'm SOOOO envious. Meat and I don't have a working relationship as of yet ! Actually most food and I don't have a working relationship so far-lol. I would LOVE to be in your shoes !!!  enlightened

dianabelle12
on 5/25/13 6:44 am

yeah its normal, some foods are considered slider foods and you can eat more of them

alaskasusan
on 5/26/13 5:40 am, edited 5/26/13 5:41 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Hi Red ~ You're off to a great start it looks like!  I'm 3.5 months out and part of my own journey has been to really pay attention to how I'm feeling as I eat.  I sure used to be able to put a lot of food away and if I'm not paying attention now (including measuring when necessary), my head still thinks I should be able to eat more.  But I LOVE LOVE LOVE eating so little and being completely satisfied.  Learning to NOT be a member of the clean plate club is taking a little doing, but I'm getting there! 

Pre-surgery I started looking at "The World According to Eggface" (great blog) to get ideas and I remember thinking what a ridiculously small amount of food she ate on her 'Day in My Pouch" posts.  Well, now that I'm on this side of surgery I find myself thinking when I go out for a meal, "wow, how can those people eat all that food!".  I find what she eats is still a bit much for me, being so recent, but it's a great resource for now and further along.

So two things:  1) measure  and   2) pay attention to being full (if/when you get that sensation back).  Good luck and bless you!

ETA: Wow I just saw my little ticker...I'm closing in on my half-way point!!  Happiness!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/26/13 5:45 am - OH

Yes, it is normal for us to be able to eat less of dense foods (protein bars, meat, dense fish like tuna) than softer foods.  I can eat a LOT of watermelon, green beans, etc., because they chew down to nothing, but one large hard boiled egg fills me up!  Wider foods like yogurt and cottage cheese also leave the pouch airily quickly, so you will be able to eat more of those as well.

Early out is it important to measure your portions in some way to be sure you are not eating too much.  Eventually, you will get a feel for what a proper portion looks like.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LittleRedAries
on 5/26/13 6:00 am - Uxbridge, MA
RNY on 04/24/13

Thanks so much for all of of your input.  It just seems so weird of how much I can eat of some things, and how little I can eat of others.  I'm feeling amazing, and keeping alot of watermelon and green beans on hand, as they go down so easily too.  My main focus, of course, is protein.  I just keep thinking, if I start to feel full..stop and not pu****  Hope everyone is doing well and have a great long weekend!angry

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 422 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 508 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 490 views