Really poor eating choices and then 5 days of gastro distress?

Louise1974
on 5/29/13 12:21 am

Five days ago I had a bad day and made some poor choices.  As in, a big ol' piece of coffee cake.  I know.  This has almost never happened to me but I just had a bad day and made a really crummy choice.  The rest of the day was pretty clean, just worked on getting back on plan and sticking with protein.  Shortly after eating the cake I had my typical sugar reaction, I don't know if it is technically dumping but I felt lousy, wanted to lay down, my tummy was crampy and miserable.  But here is where it gets weird.  Since then I have had all measure of gastro distress, diarrhea, explosive dairrhea, periods of constipation, terrible cramping.  the diarrhea tends to come immediately after eating.  As my 4 year old would say, "What the what?"  It feels a little like I have felt after antibiotics in the past, you know when all the good bacteria gets wiped out of your system and your stomach is just a mess.  Any ideas about what is going on?  My diet has been really clean since then, right back on track.  I am finding that anything but protein shakes really upsets my stomach so I am sticking to those for now. 

I don't see how it could be related but I have had treatment for an ulcer that just wrapped up last week.  It was asymptomatic (they found it during an internal hernia repair). 

I will tell you this, NO MORE COFFEE CAKE!!  Lesson learned.  I keep telling my body, "I got it, I got it, you can go back to normal now, no more coffee cake, I got it!"  But it isn't listening :)

Ocalasam
on 5/29/13 12:34 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I don't see how it could be possible related to "the coffee cake incident."  That was 5 days ago - you have certainly digested it by now!  My only guess is that it coincidentally occurred at the same time you got a stomach bug?  If it continues - I would go to your doctor.

Ocalasam
on 5/29/13 12:36 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Also, don't beat yourself up over one piece of cake.  Not the best choice, but one piece of cake is not that big of a deal.  If you did that everyday - I would say you are headed in a bad direction, but you are entitled to the occasional piece of cake.  However, if you dump (which it sounds like you did) I wouldn't eat the whole piece next time.

angeleigh
on 5/29/13 12:38 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Ohh this sounds like the stomach bug that my whole family got 2 weekends ago. It was bad for the husband and son, but really bad for me. It took me about 3 days after it was done before I could handle food. I did shakes, crackers, broth, plain toast, and 1/2 a banana.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Louise1974
on 5/29/13 12:40 am

Maybe you are right, it is funny how I attribute everything to the surgery now!  and thank for being gentle about the "coffee cake incident".  Some people seem to like/need a really hard line approach but gentleness works so much better for me!

chulbert
on 5/29/13 12:49 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Coffee cake?  Crummy choice?  Get it?  Haha.

Anyways, cut yourself a break.

Louise1974
on 5/29/13 1:50 am

hahaha!

dahoodman
on 5/29/13 3:16 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Beat me to it!!cool

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Ocalasam
on 5/29/13 3:30 am
RNY on 12/18/12

There are some curt replies on this site - but there are some really DUMB questions/statements also.  I will never say anything mean to anyone.  If I think someone says something totally crazy . . . like "I'm heating horribly all the time and I'm gaining weight - what should I do??"  I chose not to reply instead of being mean.  I see posts kinda like this all the time!  Yours was fine!!

PetHairMagnet
on 5/29/13 7:37 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Before surgery if I had a bad tummy upset, I sometimes had to go on a BRAT diet for a day or two and let my GI tract calm down completely and then slowly add foods back to it.

You might want to try that if it persists.

Hugs--that is not a fun experience and 5 days of it sounds horrid!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 562 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 551 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 11 replies · 61 views
Recent Topics