Can someone please give me suggestions about fluid intake?

Teneene
on 6/8/13 12:01 pm - CT
Revision on 05/08/13

I'm exactly one month post op and last Wednesday my surgeon admitted me back into the hospital for dehydration and low potassium levels.  I was there overnight and and discharged once my potassium reached normal levels again.  The problem is I thought I was getting in all my fluid so that I wouldn't get dehydrated, but apparently just because I sip on fluids all day doesn't mean I'm getting enough actually in my body.  I'm paying more attention to how much of fluid I'm taking in, but I'm having difficulty actually getting it all in.  I get full easily and I can't seem to physically make myself drink more.  I'm averaging 4-5 cups daily so far and I'm trying to improve.  I don't want to get dehydrated again so can anyone give me some suggestions?

poet_kelly
on 6/8/13 12:04 pm - OH

Four to five cups a day is not enough.  Most docs recommend at least 64 ounces, or eight cups, but actually the Mayo Clinic says the amount of fluid one needs varies based on many factors.  They women need an average of nine cups a day and men an average of 13 cups a day.  So anyway, you're only getting about half of what you need.

Try drinking different things, including both warm and cold drinks.  Carry your drink with you everywhere, including the bathroom and the car if you are going somewhere.  Set a timer to remind you to drink if you need to.  Aim for two ounces every 15 minutes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/8/13 12:19 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Before surgery, I LOVED cold drinks. The frostier, the better! Water so cold it almost hurt my teeth.
Post surgery, however, I need it to be either room temp or just slightly cooler than that or it really, really hurts. Like someone kicked me.

With room temp water I can drink several ounces at a time.

I am drinking 8 cups a day and working towards 10 a day and I will be 4 weeks out the day after tomorrow.

Try different temps!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Justcallmesuz
on 6/8/13 12:22 pm
RNY on 05/08/13

Popsicles are a great help as well!

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

Teneene
on 6/8/13 12:36 pm - CT
Revision on 05/08/13

Thanks for your suggestions.  I can try tea (the smell and taste of coffee makes me nauseous now), and I really like the popsicle idea.  I'm planning to keep trying and I am literally taking my cup of water, etc. with me even when I'm just dropping my daughter off at work.  I'm doing my best to increase my intake and I will definitely try some of your suggestions.

smilesandcurves
on 6/8/13 12:49 pm - TX
RNY on 08/08/13 with

Just curious, I haven't had my surgery yet, but I tend to run thirsty due to my allergy pills and just being hot as hell in Texas. LOL. I am sure I won't feel it so bad once I drop this giant cheer leader I am carrying around, but still. I am worried about that.. does the capacity to sip drinks and take in more increase as time goes on?

I don't want to be one of those who pushes to increase the content of the pouch, only to mess up any of the hard work. I am trying to learn all I can.

poet_kelly
on 6/8/13 12:54 pm - OH

Some people are able to drink normally from the start.  Others have discomfort if they take more than a sip at first.  Most people are able to drink larger swallows as time goes on.

If by "push to increase the content of the pouch" you mean you think you might stretch or damage your pouch if you take big drinks, you won't.  You can't hurt your pouch by drinking, even if you guzzle a lot at a time.  You might feel pain or feel nauseous if you do that, but you won't hurt the pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 6/9/13 9:03 am
Liquid intake is harder for some where others have no problem. The temperature may also need to be varied. I couldn't drin**** water and still do better drinking it slightly cool or room temperature. Hot tea was one of my favorites early out it went down much easier.

Drinking water or other liquids will not cause damage to your pouch. If you drink too fast you may feel discomfort that's all.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Sarahakers11
on 6/8/13 12:55 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I'm only a few days out so take my suggestion with a grain of salt please.  I fill up a 64 oz pitcher every morning then I use that to fill my other sippy mug (about 24oz) and mix in crystal light or tea or what ever.  I also use to make my protein shakes if I am using water and not skim milk.  I know I have to finish the whole pitcher by the end of the day.  I even take my sippy cup when I'm in the shower.  I have it in my head that I have to finish one 24 oz with in 3 hours of waking up another within 3 hours of lunch  and the last before going to bed.  So from about 7 - 10 am I drink one from 12 - 3pm I drink another and from 5 - 9 I drink whats left.  I dont always have gap in there but  I tend to need a few cat naps soooo I figure I'm not drinking then!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

MeMinusMore
on 6/8/13 1:34 pm
My doctor said to drink smar****er our vitamin water as regular water tends to make his patients feel a bu****er logged. I do find its easier to drink electrolyte infused waters. No idea why though.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 311 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 228 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 3 replies · 34 views
Recent Topics