Undecided?? lap-band or RnY??

Endlesslywaiting
on 6/11/13 10:41 am

I am in the process of being approved for surgery. Im going to lots of appt. right now, seeing a nutritionist. They seem to be helping me with controlling what I eat, there advice helps. I have not yet spoke to a surgeon in regards to what surgery I want. I currently have high blood pressure, i have zero-negative arthritis, i was on predisone and methotroxate now i am on enbrel. It is dificult for me to exercise, with the pain from arthritis and just good old TIME.. im limited. I was certain I was going to do the RNY, but then I watched the video of how they do it and Im a little nervous. I have read the difference between the two procedures and am still pushing towards RNY, but im 30 % lap band because it is not as much recovery time and not as complicated in the surgery room. then again I have read a lot aout the complications of lap-band. Im basically looking for advice, answers from both sides. do you regret getting lap-band, do u regret getting RNY? Any positive or negative feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

happygrandma
on 6/11/13 1:09 pm - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I had lap band surgery 7 years ago and was revised to rny in December.  I had some problems with the lap band (besides not losing much weight).  I didn't get much support from my first surgeon.

I am so much happier with this surgery and wish I had done it the first time.  After dieting for 35 years and failing I needed something more restrictive than what I was getting with the band.  I also like, with this surgery and the office I'm working with, that I know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing.  I didn't get that with the band.

You didn't say how much you have to lose.  I started at 270, lost about 50 over three years and gained back 25.  The band was restricting me a bit or I probably would have gained much more.  Now I'm under 200 for the first time since probably 1980.  I can shop in regular stores, not in the fat girl department.  I feel better.  I look in the mirror or see a picture and can't believe it's me.  I still have a ways to go but, for the first time in my adult life, I'm not embarrassed about my looks.

I think you'll get more responses to your question.  I think most, from what I've read on this site, will recommend the rny.

Good luck whichever you decide.

Linda

A_new_beginning
on 6/11/13 1:57 pm - MD
RNY on 08/29/13

Everyone I know who's had the band has been disappointed and gone back to have the RNY.  Plus, the band can come loose or get caught.  My PCP advised me to have the RNY.  She had the band because she had to pay out of her own pocket and it cost less.  She said she lost about 20 pounds (and she's pretty large).  She's really unhappy with the band and told me it's not worth it.  

What I did was read a whole bunch of books and websites.  Everyone I read left me with the same impression -- get the RNY.  So, I just got approved for the surgery and will be having the RNY without a doubt in my mind that I'm doing the right thing.

I hope this helps. 

PetHairMagnet
on 6/12/13 3:09 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On June 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM Pacific Time, A_new_beginning wrote:

Everyone I know who's had the band has been disappointed and gone back to have the RNY.  Plus, the band can come loose or get caught.  My PCP advised me to have the RNY.  She had the band because she had to pay out of her own pocket and it cost less.  She said she lost about 20 pounds (and she's pretty large).  She's really unhappy with the band and told me it's not worth it.  

What I did was read a whole bunch of books and websites.  Everyone I read left me with the same impression -- get the RNY.  So, I just got approved for the surgery and will be having the RNY without a doubt in my mind that I'm doing the right thing.

I hope this helps. 

Agreed!

The only thing I would consider would be sleeve or RNY.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Endlesslywaiting
on 6/12/13 1:28 pm

Good Luck and thanks for the advice!

Endlesslywaiting
on 6/12/13 1:29 pm
Kat Kat
on 6/11/13 2:07 pm - AZ
One other option you might consider is the Sleeve. Since you have issues with arthritis, it might be a better option than RNY, since you would still be able to take NSAIDS.

Kat
poet_kelly
on 6/11/13 9:53 pm - OH

Just FYI, in their 2013 updated guidelines, the ASMBS now recommends all WLS patients avoid NSAIDS.  However, it seems to me that if one needs to use the occasionally, it would be safer for VSG or DS patients than RNY patients, since they don't have the blind stomach we have.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kat Kat
on 6/14/13 7:45 am - AZ
Thanks for filling me in on the latest info Kelly!
Bucketta
on 6/11/13 2:18 pm

I had lapband, lost very little, gained most back, they don't tell you there is a chance they can puncture the tubing when giving your fills, it happened to me. I latter revised to the RNY and haven't looked back.  Haven't been a fast loser for several reasons, some being my own, but my metabolism is shot and "virgin" surgerys you lose more weight with them in most cases and I do have some bad eating habits that I am doing my best to break.  I personally think the band is a waste of money and the people that convert to RNY or sleeve is very high.  Lap band also can cause more problems than RNY.  The sleeve is good if you don't have GERD, if you can control your portion sizes, but by the recent studies and talking to my doctor about it, it does very little for diabetes, which you didn't say you had, but the RNY in most cases cures the diabetes where as I was told the sleeve does not, told this by two different doctors.  I also was able to go off my blood pressure meds before I came home from the hospital.  I recommend RNY but you have to make your own decision, but be warned there is a good chance you will have problems with it. 

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

Most Active
Recent Topics