Pre-Op Diet Question

adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 6:06 am - NC

I began my pre-op diet on 6/4 with the instructions to lose 9-15 pounds before my surgery on 6/25.  I am starving every waking moment but have not veered from it in the slightest bit for 8 days.  I have lost 14 pounds already and still have 13 days to go.  My coworkers said I look really exhausted and and I have so little energy...having had the success I've had to this point, would it be really detrimental to have a normal meal and then get back to it?  I am finding myself somewhat irritable from hunger and have never had headaches in my life but have had a couple the last few days--think it is tied to this?

My daily allowance is:

2-3 Protein Shakes (80-110 calories, 17-25 g protein,

It comes down to a simple question: what do you want out of life, and what are you willing to do to get it?

Beyl689
on 6/12/13 6:14 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13
When you say pre op diet do you mean liquid diet?
adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 6:19 am - NC
adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 6:22 am - NC

Not exclusively...I also get 3 oz of protein, a cup of veggies, and a yogurt each day with my protein shakes...for some reason my post left that off.

It comes down to a simple question: what do you want out of life, and what are you willing to do to get it?

Tracy13
on 6/12/13 6:16 am - WV

You can try calling your surgeon, I know a friend who had a really hard time with her liquid diet so the surgeon let her go on some lean meat, grilled chicken plain I think. I am on day 4 of liquids and today is the first day that I am not in a horrible mood and not craving something. I had a real hard time with head hunger, I kept telling myself I wasn't hungry and it was all in my head. I just try to remind myself why I chose to do this and this is only a small amount of time in a whole lifetime of benefits I will receive from the surgery.

Good luck! Sending many positive thoughts your way

HW- 405 (January 2011)

6/20/13 Surgery Day-374

adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 10:51 am - NC

Hi Tracy---thanks for your reply.  I am trying similar strategies and they do help.  I think you bring a good point that I have to keep perspective on the sacrifice for the return--and what a great exchange that will be!

PetHairMagnet
on 6/12/13 7:28 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Did he intend you to be on a liquid diet for 21 days?

I was on it for 22, but I am an exception, happend to have a scheduling snafu.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 10:49 am - NC

Yes--the duration was intentional (but is is not exclusively liquid, I can have 3 oz protein, a cup of veggies and a yogurt as well daily).  But it was the same for all patients regardless of age/metabolism/activity level/gender....a lot of factors that impact consumption I would think.  I moved this weekend with the help of one buddy, played tennis, mowed, etc so I stay active, also I'm only 26...not sure if that impacts things.  I just know I am hungry constantly and it is manifesting in my energy levels, irritability, etc.  

Penny H.
on 6/12/13 11:39 am

I am starting my pre-op diet on the 16th and will be on it for 10 days.  I have ordered Unjury protein powder in a multitude of flavors and I have a back up supply of Atkins Advantage.  I also plan on having a supply of sugar free jello and sugar free icey pops on hand.  I think my biggest challenge will be my husband who thinks liquid includes anything pureed...including bacon!  I am hoping for the best!  My surgery is on the 26th and I am interested in hearing how your experience went!!

msnmayo
on 6/13/13 2:09 am - kinston, NC
I can understand what you are going through. I have been on Optifast for 7 days now and 7 to go. I feel as if I am mentally fighting myself everyday. My stomach will say "just a little bite." My brain has to constantly remind me what I'm in this for! It's definitely not easy and prepares you for what is to come.
Most Active
Recent Topics