Not one but TWO hernias

MissK123456789
on 6/13/13 11:53 am - PA

Hello RNY folks,

I'm home day two from the hospital.  After three miserable days, they operated for two hernias...a hiatal hernia I've had for a few years and an umbilical hernia.  The umbilical hernia had my intestines pushing through the abdominal wall and great pain.  From what the dr. said it was almost strangling my intestines.  When I asked my surgeon about what causes this, he said the only thing I did to cause this is lose weight. 

So folks, after not having solid food for a week, I can tell you that if you have any gastrointestinal issues?  Call your RNY surgeon.  They will know or know what tests to run. 

I am thankful to be alive and rebounding as well as I have!

Karen

happygrandma
on 6/13/13 12:37 pm - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

Wow, glad you are on the road to recovery.  

VintageChick
on 6/13/13 10:41 pm
Sorry you're going through that. I'm glad you solved your issues and are back on the road to recovery!

Surgery is in my future. I had a hiatal already fixed pre-RNY and have the umbilical yet to look forward to - hopefully after I get to goal and excess belly skin can be removed at the same time according to my surgeon. My hernia was there pre-op from all the belly fat pressure, though. Surgeon says at least insurance will pick up the hernia portion costs; I may just have to pay out of pocket for the skin removal portion.

Did you have any excess abdominal skin removed at the same time?
MissK123456789
on 6/14/13 10:05 pm - PA

I didn't. I wish I could have planned it but mine was more of an emergency situation.  Evidently my bowel had come through the hernia, not only causing pain but strangling the bowel and causing an intestinal blockage.  I'm glad you have the chance to plan!  It's always better that way.

emt_amy
on 6/14/13 2:41 am - MN
im currently arguing with my surgeon about my issues. im having extreme pain on my right side with no other symptoms. been to the er twice now with it and no relief..... they keep saying constipated and im not. anywhoo...... long story short im not too keen on my surgeon knowing what to do.

MissK123456789
on 6/14/13 10:02 pm - PA

Did they do a CT scan?  That showed both hernias and even some gall stones.  Perhaps the surgeon just needs to order the proper test to help identify what your problem is.

Good luck!

Karen

emt_amy
on 6/16/13 4:04 am - MN
multiple ct scans, xrays, and blood work. they just keep saying the same things and having me take the same dang drugs. im fed up.......

nurl
on 6/14/13 7:08 am
RNY on 05/14/13
Glad you are doing better. Hope you have a speedy recovery

Most Active
Recent Topics