How many tubes of blood ???

Vdekker
on 6/14/13 12:48 am - Mt
RNY on 12/21/12

I am almost 6 months out and went to have my blood drawn this morning for my 6 months lab work.  I remember at three months there was discussion on her about how many tubes should be filed and I only had 5 filed.  Since I am such a passive person I decided to wait and see what was done at 6 months.  They again only took 5 tubes and now I am worried that the Dr. isn't checking all that he should.  So here is my problem, because I have that passive personality I always take some ones word at face value and since he is the Dr. I don't feel I should question him, BUT this was a major life changing surgery and I had it done to make myself healthier and by not having the correct information I could be hurting myself again!!!   I need some help in how to approach the Dr. & what to say ( I am horrible with confrontation).  I was very specific this morning when I told the lab ladies that I needed this for RNY follow up and they said yep they knew that.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Val

poet_kelly
on 6/14/13 1:16 am - OH

Should be 15 or 16.  Five tubes means they aren't checking LOTS of stuff that I want  checked.  Do you know what they did check?  Do you want other stuff checked?

You hired your doctor to provide a service for you.  If you're not sure he's providing the service the way you want it done, why shouldn't you ask questions?

If you hired me to clean your house and you came home and the floor didn't look like it had been vacuumed, would you feel uncomfortable asking me "Did you vacuum the floor?"  Or would you just hand over the money without even know what I did or why?

When you take your car to the garage, and the mechanic says "I can fix it and it will cost you $500," do you just say give him a check?  Or do you ask "What are you doing to my car?"

I would say something to you doctor like "I was wondering which labs you ordered."  Then when he tells you, based on what he says, I would say something like "I am wondering why you didn't order a zinc level, since the ASMBS says zinc deficiency is pretty common after RNY.   I would like to have that one checked, please."

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dahoodman
on 6/14/13 3:47 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Do you have a list of stuff that is being checked? I only had 5 tubes drawn as well. When I look at the orders I can't tell what's being done because it says whatever panel and whatever other panel blah blah blah. All I can hear is that Charlie Brown teacher when I read that thing. I go on Monday to find out the actual values, but my surgeon's office called me already to tell me that my labs were "fine", but my B-12 was a little high so I can take a little less of that. I will compare my list of stuff they give me on Monday to whatever you or anyone else can provide here. 15 vials?? For REAL??!! If they actually had taken 15 I would probably have fallen over because I wouldn't have expected that to be honest.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

poet_kelly
on 6/14/13 3:49 am - OH

Here is the list of what I get done.

CMP
Lipid Profile
CBC with differential
B12
Bili-direct
Ferritin

Iron/TIBC

PTH
Magnesium
Folate
Thiamine (B1)

B6

Vitamin E

Vitamin K
Uric Acid
Vitamin A

Vitamin D (25 hydroxy)

Zinc
Phosphorus
Copper

Selenium

Prealbumin

When they say your B12 is a little high, how high is it?   A little high is actually good for B12.  A little low can be dangerous.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dahoodman
on 6/14/13 4:30 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13
I go Monday to my appointment so I should find out everything then. I will print this list too and see how it matches up to what they received and find out why they don't think some things are necessary. Then ask next time to have it done right. Thank you for the list!!

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

molly3613
on 6/14/13 6:22 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
I had 12 vials drawn at 3 months which according to Kelly was not enough. When I got the results I spoke with the doctors nurse who had given me my 3 month lab slip. I printed Kelly's list of things to check and together the nurse and I filtered out what was not checked that Kelly said should be checked. Some of it was listed on the lab slip and most not. For the 6 month labs she checked what she could and hand wrote in the vitamins etc that were not on the pre printed lab form. They just use a standard pre printed form and if vitamin k is not on it it is not tested. But she added what I wanted for the 6 month labs without a problem. You just have to ask. PHT was not on the pre printed form so she wrote it in. And a bunch of vitamins. Just say you are concerned and want to take care of yourself and I am sure they will respond favorably. I am interested to see how many vials they draw in August.

cajungirl
on 6/14/13 1:20 am

I have 9-11 vials pulled when they run the labs I request.  I question them all the time.  I've actually had to go back for another stick when my labs came back without everything on them.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/14/13 2:12 am - OH

Mine run from 9-12 vials depending on whether the doctor also checks Vit A, my thyroid and my INR (because I take blood thinner).  Those only get done yearly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Linda K.
on 6/14/13 4:10 am
RNY on 08/01/12

Go to www.pamtremble.com. Or google "lab tests for bariatric patients". She has a PDF file that is printable.  I sent it to my PCP and it is what she uses. 

Lyn

lyn

Laura in Texas
on 6/14/13 4:15 am

I usually have around 15 vials drawn, but this last time I had a friend write my orders and she works with DS patients so she is very thorough. I had 30 vials drawn (over $3000 worth). Holy cow!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics