Nervous about not losing!

Jaceybaby
on 6/24/13 11:43 am
1st time poster! Yay me! I have my RNY scheduled for August 27. I'm self pay so really want to make this work. I have, like all of us, tried many times to lose weight one way or another. My concern is my inability to lose weight easy. The most I have ever lost has been 20-30 lbs. I have never lost more than 1 lb a week. The only time when it was easier to lose weight was when i was pregnant. I only gained 2 lbs with each pregnancy! I'm not a big cheater and always exercised when "on the diet". The frustration always took over and I ended up giving up the lifestyle. Will this work for me? Any one else out there like me? I was also just diagnosed with diabetes this week while getting some early prep blood work done. Any hope for me?? Thanks
Dar_Mab
on 6/24/13 11:57 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Welcome!  And congrats on your surgery date!   Not long now really.   You need to take a deep breath and relax.   You will lose weight with RNY. Everyone loses at different rates so don't drive yourself crazy with comparisons to others. Each if us are walking individual journeys even though we all have the same common goals.   You will do just fine.  Follow the program given to you and make sure you find strong support systems - family, friends, or through the OH community.   

Wont be long and you will be posting your own weight loss journey!  

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Brenda S.
on 6/24/13 12:28 pm - FL
RNY on 04/09/13
This will be very different than anything you've done to lose weight before. I never lost much either, no matter how hard I tried. You will do great, really. I've lost almost 50 pounds, and I had surgery on April 9.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/24/13 10:39 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I swear to you, that it would be nearly impossible to list a diet I have not tried over the years, but this is TOTALLY different. It is a lifestyle change, not a diet. It is a whole new way of thinking about food and prioritizing protein, hydration and exercise as a part of your daily life.

I had surgery 13 May and have lost 34 lbs, plus I lost a nice bit pre-op. But I even FEEL different than I did when on diets. I was always looking to the 'end' and frankly, there is not 'end' with this. It is for life. And my only regret is not doing this sooner!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

karenp8
on 6/25/13 2:04 am - Brighton, IL

Take a deep breath and stop worrying. Your surgery will work for you if you follow your surgeon's directions. I was never able to lose weight by dieting either,even when I exercised every day. I have had even more success  I 'd have ever imagined. I had my rny August 29,2012. At the start of my journey I weighed 258.5 and weighed 253 the day of surgery. Today I weigh 126 and feel great. Hang in there. If I n do this you can too!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/13 2:12 am - OH

It would be physically impossible for you NOT to lose weight after surgery... A least for the first 9 months or so.  KEEPING it off is another matter entirely.  To do that, you will need to really utilize the first 6-9 months to learn how to eat in a healthy, balanced way (although protein heavy).  Once the caloric malabsorption ends, your small pouch (which gets larger over the course of the first year or so) and your healthy eating are all that stand between you and regain.  This is NOT a diet, it is a lifestyle change.  If you embrace that, you will do just fine!

(I also had surgery on August 27th... but 6 years ago!  I had it done the day before my 45th birthday.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cajungirl
on 6/25/13 5:15 am

I was a self pay also, it works.  Follow the rules and stay involved in the WLS community.  Get labs and track them to see downward trends to avoid (as much as possible) any deficiencies.  There are some people that just cannot maintain certain ranges with simply a vitamin routine and require infusions/injections/etc.

You don't have to answer this but do you not have insurance or an exclusion?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Jaceybaby
on 6/25/13 6:37 am
Thank you all so much for the reponses. I'm feeling much more confident now. I can't wait and wish my date was tomorrow.
I live in Canada, Nova Scotia to be specific, and the wait time is into years. I'm travelling to Montreal to have it done at a private clinic. My private health insurance doesn't cover anything obesity related. Crazy! I keep dreaming about what my life will be like when I can finally paint my own toenails! Lol
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 375 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 490 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 470 views