food tip for liquid diet

aliceindietland
on 6/24/13 11:14 am
RNY on 06/11/13

One of the hardest parts of the liquid diet for me (both pre-op and then first week post-op) was that almost every single thing I could eat had to be refrigerated and eaten with a spoon.  This made it very rough when I was on the go.  (This was particularly difficult during my pre-op diet since I was supposed to eat every 2 hours.)

Today I FINALLY found something that could have been shoved in my purse for snack emergencies.  GoGo Squeez applesauce.  In a squeeze container, no spoon or refrigeration required.  Also I'm not a huge fan of applesauce but the apple cinnamon is really tasty - AND no added sugar.  50 calories!  And at 3.2oz it's a nice size for post-op.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case others had had similar troubles. :)

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

ShadowHR
on 6/24/13 11:18 am - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try them next time I am at the store .  I am almost 12 wks out, but need snacks that travel well.

susan

Surgery Weight 245

JenniferDreams120
on 6/24/13 11:49 am - Kennesaw, GA
RNY on 06/06/13

My NUT said no applesauce until the pureed stage. So annoying to have a cooler with me everywhere!

aliceindietland
on 6/24/13 11:54 am
RNY on 06/11/13

You know, come to think of it, maybe applesauce was not first week for me either!  I'm on puree now.  I think first week was strained soup and pudding. :)

Don't worry - you'll be there soon!

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

JenniferDreams120
on 6/24/13 12:24 pm - Kennesaw, GA
RNY on 06/06/13

I'm jealous that you are on pureed! I would kill for some babyfood right now!

I have to do three weeks of full liquid and then 4 weeks of pureed. Annoying NUT!

Guess I gotta do what the crazy NUT said! 

I live in Kennesaw and had 6/6 surgery. You are close to me right?

aliceindietland
on 6/25/13 1:19 am
RNY on 06/11/13

I have not done babyfood LOL.

I was really relieved that full liquid was only one week.  It was really rough getting in 3 protein shakes per day.

And yep I'm in Decatur.

JenniferDreams120
on 6/25/13 2:26 am - Kennesaw, GA
RNY on 06/06/13
Once we can eat real food again, we should meet up for lunch! I work on peachtree in midtown. I will be finally able to eat real food in August.

Jenn

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/25/13 1:13 am

That is still full of sugar.  Natural - yes - but pure carbs.  I don't recommend them.  For me nuts, nut butter, - is the best on a go snack.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

aliceindietland
on 6/25/13 1:18 am
RNY on 06/11/13

Well I wouldn't recommend like tons of applesauce obviously, but on the liquid diet I for one had really really limited options.  I wouldn't have been allowed nut butter.  Applesauce was literally the only non-refrigerated food I could have!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/25/13 1:29 am, edited 6/25/13 1:30 am

I use protein powder or premade shakes. And ice.. 

I use this: 

http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-insulated-18-oz-midni ght-blue-hydration-bottle.aspx

great in a car. Stainless  easy to clean. easy to use.. It is expensive but I bought one a year - and now I have 4 to use with cold or hot items. Does not leak, keep things cold or hot. Easy to clean. It will keep my shake cold all day long.  (can use regular ice). Target has them, sometimes Walmart or Walgreens..  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 319 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 333 views