Home from Panni

Gizzys
on 6/25/13 2:08 am - Canada

Hello - I had my modified panni surgery 6 days ago and am now home recovering.  Things went pretty smoothly though I have to admit the first two days after surgery were tough.  Between dealing with pain, being tired, and not able to pee until day 3, I had some emotional moments.  But I am glad to say that I am now doing well.  The incision is healing nicely.  I have a new belly button.  It is amazing to me that I can now see my privates clearly without moving all the skin/tissue aside.  I am trying to keep moving around with all the tight pulling feelings, its hard to get used to, especially if you think every pull is going to open your incision up.  The biggest challenge for me is straightening up.  I still tend to hunch a bit, especially at the shoulder level.  I don't have much swelling yet.  I have been wearing my binder religiously.  I go in to see my family doctor this Friday to see if some of the staples are ready to come out.  All in all, I am happy to have had this surgery done.  I am glad my surgeon did an anchor incision.  I had about 3 lbs of skin/tissue removed.  My pubic area was lifted as well.  I have a waist!  My surgeon is an amazing, caring man and I am grateful for the second chance he is given me for an improved life.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

MultiMom
on 6/25/13 2:13 am - NH

Congrats! Did you travel for your surgery? I had mine as day surgery about 3 1/2 years ago and remember well crouching to walk for the first few days. My surgeon also made me a new belly button, it is still funny to me!! There are photos on my profile if you want to look.

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/13 2:19 am - OH

Sounds more like a tummy tuck without the muscle tightening (since a panniculectomy only deals with skin below the belly button and only involves a hip to hip incision so doesn't cause hunching over)...?  Just want to clarify for the sake of those who are considering a panniculectomy (so they won't expect one thing and get something else).

Glad you are healing up well.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MultiMom
on 6/25/13 2:40 am - NH

My panniculectomy sure did cause hunching over!! I just had the belly button moved but it was still a panniculectomy. (Maybe I misunderstood what you said??)

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/13 2:48 am - OH

He pulled the skin down so tightly on your lower tummy that it made you hunch over?!?

I assumed from the hunching and the fact that she said it was an anchor cut, that it was more than just panni removal.

Lora

MultiMom
on 6/25/13 2:53 am - NH

Yup, although all of my abdominal skin was pulled down because he cut my belly button loose and remade it higher where it belonged. It made it so that there was no 'hood' over the belly button that happens with a regular panniculectomy. A little upgrade that makes the resulting outcome huge.

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/13 7:49 am - OH

Yeah, your belly button is much better looking than mine (with the little hood).  :)

Lora

Calla Lily
on 6/25/13 2:27 am
RNY on 01/23/12

I am thrilled that you are doing so well! You have been such a great source of support to me over the last year and a half, and it is so nice to go thru these things together! I'll be 6 weeks post panni op this Thursday and I still have to remind myself to not hunch lol

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Gizzys
on 6/25/13 2:40 am - Canada

I traveled about 2 hrs to have my surgery.  Had it last Thursday and came home on Sunday.  I am excited and I can't wait until everything is healed up.  It is such a positive difference already.  You are such an inspiration Martha.  I hope to have some good results like you have.  I'll never be tiny and I am okay with that.  We are all built differently and I celebrate everyone's weight loss journey.

I guess I should clarify that my surgeon officially calls the surgery I had a modified panni.  What is really is, is a Fleur Dis Lis tummy tuck with muscle tightening.  An anchor cut.  Breast bone down and hip to hip incision.  Yes a traditional panni only addresses below the belly button.  My surgeon sees that most people who have had extreme weight loss have skin issues above the belly button as well.  Thus, he addresses both.  I count myself lucky to have had the surgery I did and with my surgeon of choice.

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

MultiMom
on 6/25/13 2:46 am - NH

It sounds like you and Calla had the same thing done. Hers looks amazing!! I think mine was a much easier procedure as it was done in the plastic surgeons office surgical suite. 

Congratulations on your success!!

Martha enlightened

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 456 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 528 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 509 views