my sixth month and this is what i get??

bobbirenee
on 7/7/13 10:16 am
RNY on 01/08/13

ok, i have not been here in a while... and just wanted to say, that sixth month after surgery i have only lost 39 lbs that is it... wow.. i thought hey i am just a slow loser at first and my doc said don't worry rapid weight loss is gonna happen... lol... yep ,not really i ask myself what went wrong? i exercise i eat hardly anything and yet the only big change in me is the amount of hair that i have lost... omg whole nother story.. the hair loss... some people said the hair loss means the surgery is working... ha i say... i feel like i lost more hair than pounds... just venting everyone.. i feel so dissapointed in this procedure that i really have no more to say than that... i really pray that everyone else is having a better outcome than i am

angeleigh
on 7/7/13 10:45 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

You might not be eating enough. How many calories are you eating in a normal day? How much protein? Carbs? Are you tracking your food at all on like, myfitnesspal.com?

I know for me at 6 months out, I was eating about 800 calories a day and 75 grams of protein, about 40 grams of carbs. But that is just me.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

AnchorsAweigh
on 7/7/13 10:50 am

I really have no idea what to say. I don't know if losing 39 pounds in six months is 'too' slow or if you will simply continue to lose at a slow but steady pace. I don't know what your starting weight was but I imagine that could make a difference. I just felt your sadness when I read your post and I wanted to let you know that I am so sorry you are feeling so disappointed. I truly hope your weight loss continues--I can't imagine it won't. I did notice that you said you hardly eat anything. I have to wonder if that could be the problem. WLS isn't about eating next to nothing--it's about learning to eat the right things in the right quantity. Personally, when I stop losing weight I look at what I'm eating and it usually isn't enough. Once I increase it to something more realistic I start losing again. Maybe you should talk more with your physician or NUT? Anyway, I'm glad you are on this forum to talk about this. I imagine you will get lots of good advice from the vets. Good luck to you--I will send good thoughts your way.

bobbirenee
on 7/7/13 11:05 am
RNY on 01/08/13

Thank you for your support! you all are very kind.

VintageChick
on 7/7/13 11:02 am

Maybe post what your typical intake/day looks like and some of the vets here can help you? I'm less than 2 months out and I've had good weeks and slow weeks. I simply continue to try to push the protein, water, and get in the necessary vitamins

ShadowHR
on 7/7/13 11:18 am - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

I agree with the other responses, make sure you are eating the proper amounts of protein each day.  I am 3 months post op and have lost less than I expected (based on other WLS patients results) but I think I am consuming too many calories a day.  I track my food and activity on myfitnesspal each day.  I highly recommend it.

keep your chin up, eventually you will lose.

susan

Surgery Weight 245

Sherrie P.
on 7/7/13 11:29 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Sounds like you probably are not getting your protein in.  Are you not eating on purpose? Or are you just not eating a lot compared to what you used to eat?

Are you taking your vitamins? 

Are you in a stall or have you steadily lost a pound or two a week?

Lots of variables.  I am sure it is frustrating. Hang in there - and do not give up.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Larry Wassmann
on 7/8/13 12:23 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

WLS is not magic. This is an aid to a diet. Yes it is a diet. You don’t just go home and watch the fat roll off. You have to take charge of your body and what you put in your body and the amount of activity you do. You have got to be exact on your amounts, and the routine your surgery team should have given you.

If you are not losing as much as you expected, go to your NUT and adjust your intake as told to do. Ever body is different. It depends on your amount of weight you have to lose. Someone who weighs 500 pounds may lose 150 pounds in 6 months but if you have less than 100 pounds to lose, a 20 pound loss may be correct. Also your age and activity level also effect how fast your lose weight.

Log every little thing that goes into your mouth. Use a product like MyfitnessPal to track what you are doing. You can do this but it is a lot of work but in my opinion well worth the effort and the best part is not the weight loss but a life change on how you control your eating for the rest of your life.  

Now after more than a year out, my habits have changed and how I eat each day seems as normal as the pig like eating I used to do. You can do this and use this time to learn about your body and what amounts and kinds of foods you need to live. Good luck to you.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Mary Catherine
on 7/8/13 1:13 am

As Larry so elegantly explains the weight loss is not a result of the procedure.  RNY is just a tool that makes dieting easier for us.  We still have to track the food intake, count the protein grams, drink the water, take the vitamins, do the exercise, and give up the types of foods that make our bodies fat.  I personally did not eat bread, sugar, flour, potatoes, chips, crackers, pastries, fruit, corn, rice, or pasta until well after my weight was well below my goal weight. 

I tracked all of my food and exercise.  At six months I was eating about 600-800 calories a day, but had taken a long time to eat that much.  In the beginning it was only protein shakes and about 300 calories a day. Eating only a small amount still has to be only a very small amount of lean dense protein and a few non-starchy vegetables. You have not gotten off to a good start, but still have about a year of your honeymoon period.  If you decide to really put up a fight you can still use the surgery to get rid of your excess weight.  It is not easy, but it is easier than it was. 

As soon as you eat simple carbs, hunger will return and you will not be content with lean meat and non-starchy vegetables.  That is the reason for not eating the carbs. You need exercise to burn calories, to keep your body as strong and toned as possible.  You need lots of water.  Sixty four ounces is just a minimum.  I drink a lot more then that.  Sometimes 120 ounces a day in hot weather.  Start thinking of yourself as a slim, fat-burning machine.  Eat fish, beef, pork, chicken and turkey.  Add lettuce, peppers, celery, mushrooms, cucumbers, green beans, snow peas, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and other vegetables.  Drink lots of water and track every bite.  Weigh daily and track that.  Track exercise.  You will be amazed at the difference when you get into the right habits.

Hair loss is a side effect of almost any surgery and has nothing to do with weight loss.  Have fun, post often, and think how amazed the doctor will be on your next visit.

Larry Wassmann
on 7/8/13 1:59 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

White Dove just gave you a great example of what and how to eat. please read it and use it, that should be your goal from now on...you can do this many hundreds of us have and are so thankful for the tool we have been given.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 201 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 14 views
Recent Topics