post-op questions.

Loveymae
on 7/13/13 6:26 am

My surgery was July 10 and I was released from the hospital yesterday afternoon.  It was a 4 hour ride home so I know I let myself get dehydrated just because I was not feeling the best.  Last night I had a fever and terrible nightmares. I am hoping that does not happen again! Any advice?

Lisa_Douglas
on 7/13/13 11:30 am
RNY on 05/20/13

How high did your fever get?  My husband had surgery and developed a fever night he was released from hospital.  When it went over 102, his surgeon had us go to the er - they will test for pneumonia and uti.  Ultimately, they discovered he had already developed signs of infection at one of the incision sites, and he received iv and then oral antibiotics.  Call your dr and don't take any chances!!!

Loveymae
on 7/14/13 1:16 pm

Thank you Lisa! I did not take my temp unfortunately but I did not go to sleep until I had sat with an ice pack for an hour or so.  I woke up in the night and the fever was gone and I felt much better.  That was yesterday.  Today I feel much better! I have my routine down, am getting my proteins and water in on schedule so life is good again.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/13 1:21 pm, edited 7/14/13 1:22 pm - OH

Just four hours without fluids should not have dehydrated you, especially since they filled you up with all sorts of extra fluid while in the hospital.  You may have been thirsty, but not dehydrated. Just FYI for anyone immediately post-op, if your fever is high or lasts more than a day you should call your surgeon because it may indicate an infection or a complication.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Loveymae
on 7/14/13 1:37 pm

Thank you Lora,

For me, it was easy to imagine all sorts of possibilities. But  I realize now that I should have made better choices and called my doctor. I was very fortunate that something serious did not happen to me!

SW: 307    

Most Active
Recent Topics