Lost a family member and for the first time I did not turn to food.

shedevilbecca
on 7/14/13 9:03 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

I just lost my cousin to breast cancer. She was 37. I was very very close to her so my heart is broken. When I found out she had passed I realized I wanted to turn to food but also realized that was not an option. Instead of drowning my pain in food I am having to let myself work through my feelings of anger that she was taken to soon and the sadness that she is gone and missing her so much my heart hurts.

This has been eye opening for me. I never realized that I was turning to food to take away the pain. Now I am learning a different way to deal with emotion and pain.

Mimisocks
on 7/14/13 9:31 am - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

My heart goes out to you on the loss of your cousin.  May the memories you have of her through your life bring you comfort in your sorrow.  You did something for yourself today by not turning to food and I congratulate you for being so strong in spite of your grief.  All the best, laugh

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

Walnut436
on 7/14/13 9:32 am

Congratulations. That is a big step in the right direction. I've had a similar situation recently with my Grandma and actually went to Dunkin Donuts and bought a bag full...cried hard for about an hour....sat on my bed looking at the bag of donuts but I couldn't bring myself to eat even one bite. I ended up throwing them all away and being so thankful I was able to be strong (well mostly---i was weak enough to buy them but strong enough to not eat them). It is not easy to do the right thing especially during very stressful times. I am very sorry for your lost.

BellaNY
on 7/14/13 10:25 am

I'm so sorry for the loss of your cousin.

You are an absolute inspiration. Overeating wouldn't have brought your coustn back. How incredible that you could feel your pain instead. Thanks for sharing such a victory.

RainbowRN
on 7/14/13 12:36 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13
I am so very sorry for your loss.

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

_nicky_
on 7/14/13 12:36 pm - OK
RNY on 06/25/13

I'm very sorry for your loss. Good for you for learning new ways to deal with your emotions. Especially at such a difficult time. 

5'6"   HW: 297   SW: 274   CW: 194   GW: 135

Total loss: 103 lbs    Surgery loss: 80 lbs    Left to lose: 59 lbs

Justcallmesuz
on 7/14/13 12:56 pm
RNY on 05/08/13

I'm so sorry for your loss.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/13 1:51 pm - OH

I am so sorry for your loss, but the fact that you now see how you previously turned to food to soothe negative emotions is a HUGE step forward to a healthier life!  Be gentle with yourself while you grieve this loss.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

shedevilbecca
on 7/15/13 3:05 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

Thank you to everyone for the kind words.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 57 replies · 239 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 509 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 580 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 305 views
Recent Topics