random after surgery question

alleyoop
on 7/17/13 7:53 am
RNY on 08/20/13

My surgery date is scheduled for August 20 and I just had a friend ask me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding (in Dec 2013 or Jan 2014). I currently wear a 28. Can anyone even help me guess...even ballpark...what size I should order for my dress? The dresses take 16 weeks to arrive so we have to order them soon. Obviously, I would rather them have to take the dress in than worry about ordering too small a size. She is one of my best friends so it's really important to me to be in her wedding. 

Thoughts???

"what's inside is more important than what's outside. people will forget a pair of tacky shoes but they won't forget a tacky heart." sophie hudson

BethOklahoma
on 7/17/13 8:02 am

Total guess, based on nothing scientific.  I'd order an 18.   I think an 18 could be taken in quite a bit, and I'm relatively sure you'll be smaller than an 18...probably more like a 14 or so.....

But, I think it would be relatively easy to modify a size 18 by taking in the sides.    Good luck!!!

Bibo
on 7/17/13 8:04 am

I had my surgery on May 1, and I went from a size 26 to a 16 just the other day, and the 16's are already kind of big. (In pants).

There is really no way to tell exactly though, because each person is so different. My weight loss this time is pretty typical of other weight losses...I once went from a 345 to 125, and once from 200 to 140 without the surgery.  After surgery, I am losing in the same parts of my body first....face feet, jeans, and lost two inches from my bra size (cup size is the same).

Perhaps there is a way to get a dress that is easy to alter at the last minute, and find a seamstress to have on hand to help you do that. First new item of clothes i needed was undies...the rest I just wore a little big...Good luck!

I also swim every single day, and pedal about 20 minutes on the bike so I am pretty active physically.

Jdanae
on 7/17/13 8:05 am - CA
I would order a 20 or 22....better to have it taken in. Sometimes the dresses run really small, so maybe even try it on now to see how true to size they are and go from there!
JaneJetson60
on 7/17/13 8:59 am, edited 7/17/13 8:59 am
RNY on 05/07/12

This is a hard call.  There is no way to know and this could put alot of pressure on you that you don't need.  I am trying not to be a doggie downer, but I personally would bow out gracefully due to the fact your commitment to your surgery has too much variables to narrow down to any certain size. Your body is going to lose in some of the oddest places and the measurements could be too far off to even alter, depending on the simplicity of the dress.  I wish you much success on your surgery and if you do go ahead, just let the bride know now that this could work or be a washout.  Jane  

kinny09
on 7/17/13 9:06 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I'd get a 22 personally just to play middle of the road here, and if need be you can always go to a tailor and have it altered to your body specifically.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

baepage
on 7/17/13 9:24 am - MA
RNY on 04/22/13

I had surgery 3 months ago (April 22nd), I was a 22/24, and now wearing a 16.  I too would order a 20/22, and they can at least take it in if its too big.

Barbara

alleyoop
on 7/17/13 9:51 am
RNY on 08/20/13

Thank you so much, everyone! I know everyone loses at different rates, etc. but your answers really help!

Thanks, again!

"what's inside is more important than what's outside. people will forget a pair of tacky shoes but they won't forget a tacky heart." sophie hudson

Lu091705
on 7/17/13 11:53 am - Denver, CO
I too had the surgery in mid March.... I am down from a size 24 to a 16 sometimes 18. Does she have her brides maides dresses picked out yet? I only ask because I am going to be in my brothers wedding, in mid September. I was asking about the dresses because we are getting ours through Davids Bridal and they have Layaway. .... the alterations are going to end up costing the amount of my dress! bitter sweet LOL. From the everyones posts it looks as though we've all had pretty much the same fortune with our weight loss. Well good luck and congrats!!
PetHairMagnet
on 7/17/13 8:05 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
How tall are you, how fitted are the dresses and what is your total to lose?

Are you in Charlotte proper and who is your surgeon?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 148 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics