Protein bars!

lumina99
on 7/18/13 1:30 pm - ME

Is it really bad that some days I eat two protein bars? I know I should be eating food, but at work when it`s so busy it`s so easy to eat them! Is this going to be bad for my stomach? I`m almost 4 mos out.

Laura A.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/18/13 2:07 pm - OH

Assuming that the nutritional stats on them are decent, they probably aren't bad for you physically, but you are not doing yourself any favors for the long term psychologically/behaviorally because you are sabotaging yourself in terms of learning how to eat healthy meals so you will be able to keep the weight off long term.  Once the caloric malabsorption ends and you are physically able to eat more, the only thing standing between you and regain will be your new, healthy eating habits.  If you are eating two protein bars most days, you aren't learning to do anything except diet by eating protein bars (and dieting doesn't work any better post-op than it did pre-op).   So, unless you plan to CONTINUE eating multiple protein bars a day for the rest of your life, I personally think its a bad idea.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lumina99
on 7/18/13 2:34 pm - ME

They are Quest bars. And I totally get what you are saying Lora. Thanks. I guess it`s so easy to just munch on them while working when I only have a few minutes. I`m a Cosmetologist, and I have back to back clients. I bring yogurts, broccoli salad, chicken, and other things but rarely have enough time to eat! 

Laura A.

JaneJetson60
on 7/19/13 8:49 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Ok, so what do you do about liquids if you have back to back clients?  Take five minutes and at least get a yogurt of something quick, even a protein shake in a cup.  I have had maybe a half of a protein bar and I am almost 15 months out.  I get how hard it can be, but do you not get any breaks on your job? Someone posted something earlier about no breaks or a breakroom at her job.  I never wanted to depend on them.  Jane

lumina99
on 7/20/13 12:03 pm - ME

I keep a bottle next to me and sip all the time. Much easier than getting up and eating, which takes a while if you eat slowly the way you`re supposed to.

Laura A.

lynnc99
on 7/21/13 10:32 am

Laura, I posted an OH blog about selecting protein bars - like you, Quest is my favorite.

But that said....even "good" bars can invite overconsumption when it comes to calories. I am careful to use them only for planned snacks or meal replacements when I am away from home and may not have easy availability of food on the road. 

Here is the link to the blog: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/lynnc99/blog/2013/07/16/ch oosing-a-protein-bar/

Lynn

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 395 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 257 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 134 views