Arthritis

lumina99
on 7/20/13 1:03 pm - ME

Did anyone notice they had sore joints after this surgery? I was wondering if my arthritis was maybe related to the surgery or just because I work with my hands all the time?

Laura A.

poet_kelly
on 7/20/13 1:03 pm - OH

I don't know how WLS would cause arthritis.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/13 2:19 pm - OH

I can't imagine how having RNY would cause arthritis since your digestive system doesn't have anything to do with the condition of your joints, especially non-weight bearing joints.  Have you had X-rays to confirm that the pain is because of arthritis?  Did you have the pain at all before the surgery? If you work with your hands "all the time" that could definitely contribute to developing sore joints (whether arthritis or not). Any very repetitive motion can cause pain or injury.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/21/13 1:35 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On July 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM Pacific Time, lumina99 wrote:

Did anyone notice they had sore joints after this surgery? I was wondering if my arthritis was maybe related to the surgery or just because I work with my hands all the time?

First, sore joints does not automatically equate to arthritis. Secondly, it sounds like you are self-diagnosing. You should see a doctor to see what your actual issue is. And as others have said, there is not a connection between WLS and arthritis.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

lumina99
on 7/22/13 3:00 am - ME
Umm, I was diagnosed with arthritis. But it comes and goes. Just seemed to be worse since surgery, maybe weather related or just getting worse.

Laura A.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/22/13 4:09 am - OH

We asked about an actual diagnosis because sometimes people automatically assume that any joint pain is arthritis and then have X-rays done and find that there isn't any arthritis after all, and that the pain is from something else.  It is common for arthritis pain to come and go depending on activity, weather, even fluid retention.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 398 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 387 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 130 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?