Could I be low on Iron?

lumina99
on 7/20/13 1:01 pm - ME

Why am I feeling tired? I`m taking the vitamins recommended, but very tired and was pretty lightheaded today...Had my blood work done yesterday & waiting for the results. But I was wondering if this happened to anyone and what did you find out was the culprit?

Laura A.

poet_kelly
on 7/20/13 1:03 pm - OH

It could be low iron, but lots of vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause fatigue.  Or it could be unrelated to vitamins.  You should be able to get most of the results Monday, although some labs can take a little longer to do.  But you should be able to get the iron by then.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lezlie S.
on 7/20/13 11:45 pm - Kouts, IN

The tiredness was happening to me too and the labs showed my iron was okay.  However there is a portion of the iron that goes low called ferrous sulfate that they didn't take into account.  I read about it......went to the drugstore and bought it and started taking it.  Within a few days I was feeling better.  The only thing is that it can be constipating.

Lezlie S.
Highest weight 266
Weight at time of Surgery 248
Current weight 194 Goal weight 145

poet_kelly
on 7/20/13 11:54 pm - OH

Ferrous sulfate is a type of iron supplement.  But I think maybe what you are thinking of when you say a portion of iron that goes low that they didn't take into account is ferritin.  When they do labs, they can't test for how much of a certain type of iron supplement is in your body.  For instance, they can't test your ferrous sulfate, your carbonyl, your ferrous gluconate, etc.

Ferritin is your iron storage, and I think you should be getting that tested when you get labs done.  Ferrous sulfate is not the only take of iron supplement that can raise your ferritin level, though.  In fact, carbonyl will probably raise it better simply because we absorb it better because it's absorbed better in a low acid environment like our pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lezlie S.
on 7/21/13 12:01 am - Kouts, IN

Okay thanks for telling me!  I learn something every time I come to this site!

Lezlie S.
Highest weight 266
Weight at time of Surgery 248
Current weight 194 Goal weight 145

lumina99
on 7/22/13 3:03 am - ME
Great info, thanks!

Laura A.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 399 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?