Breaking down!

jenmcg
on 8/3/13 5:35 am - MN
RNY on 09/16/13

I should hopefully be getting my surgery around the same time as you, and I am in the same boat as you. I keep telling myself "better enjoy it now, before it's too late!" and I eat whatever I want. We went to OCB 3 times in July because kids ate for 99 cents...I ate until I was going to puke. I drink waaaaay more pop than I should. It's hard to not think in the "last meal" type of way...but you know what, soon enough you'll have that surgery and you're going to want to eat healthier...you're going to NEED to eat healthier. All it takes is a few good puke episodes for you to stop with the poor decisions, right? Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to!!

NadiaM
on 8/3/13 11:29 pm

Thanks Jen! Will definitely pm you!

CosmoK
on 8/3/13 9:56 am

Ok so a couple of things- Let me start off saying it may not be a easy road out of the gate

I had the same feelings as you like I wanted to eat everything... The Only thing I wanted was lasagna because that was my absolute favorite.. However, I started early on my 2 week liquid and it REALLY helped save alot of grief.. I guess let me explain.. After surgery what other people say is true. A very high percent of people come out of surgery and don't CRAVE what they used to.. Time goes by and you find out what you can tolerate and what you can't..  "I was the lucky one because I had zero sickness, very little pain, and got all my fluids plus with no issues"   However, certain people may have certain issues but generally they are gone after about a month or so... They go on with life without food being the center of their lives... They find other things to enjoy... Since I was soooo lucky, I have to be careful and stay exactly on plan.. Honestly, I don't miss Pizza, Sugar, Pasta ETC ETC.. But since I don't have any issues with eating certain things I don't want to learn I can eat "THE BAD STUFF" because down the road it may spell trouble..

Like I said earlier, I believe you won't crave certain things when you are hungry BUT your mind plays a HUGE role.. It's called head hunger.. I fought the battle and beat it but IT WASN'T EASY AT ALL...  I sat and cried, I punched the couch, I went to bed really early, and I was depressed for a VERY SHORT WHILE... Head hunger is a bear and something you need to work on because it will creep up... I felt soooo helpless asking myself what have I done and I will never be able to have that... Stay strong, Stay on Plan, and most of all ENJOY YOUR NEW LIFE!!!!  I'm sure I can speak for everyone on here.. We are a family and this is the best support group you will encounter...  Some come everyday and don't post but this site gives them motivation.. There are a handful of people that are daily posters and I am THANKFUL for that!!!

You WILL WIN!  you WILL FIGHT!!   You WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE :)

Highest Weight: 468 Pounds, Pre Op Diet Weight: 436 Pounds, Surgery Weight: 423 Pounds

Surgery Date 5-13-13 with Dr Roy Cobean Portland Maine.. Casco Bay Surgeries!!!  Wonderful place!!

NadiaM
on 8/3/13 11:30 am
Wow I can't thank all of you enough! You have really lifted my spirits and are all so encouraging!
robitodd
on 8/3/13 11:21 pm - FL

This was so beneficial to read.  My surgery is scheduled for 9/11 and I have been having the same issues. "I better eat this, because I won't get to later."  I've also felt like if I can't do it now, why do I think I can after the surgery?

So glad to see I'm not the only one with these feelings and issues.  Luckily, my family is supportive, now if I could only get my mind to be. 

NadiaM
on 8/3/13 11:28 pm

I'm so happy that my post helped! Good luck with the surgery... We will kill it!

DebsGiz
on 8/4/13 2:00 am - FL

I understand exactly where you're coming from as I felt the same way too.  

One of the "myths" I would like to address here is the one where, after surgery, we cannot  enjoy foods we enjoyed prior to our surgery, because my experiences have not reflected this.

I generally eat what I want; however, in much smaller portions.  Ninety percent of the time I make healthy choices, but I also occasionally eat a food that is not exactly on the most nutritional list.  For example, if I want a hotdog, I eat a hotdog.  Chances are I am not going to eat the entire hotdog because my tool signals "full" at about the halfway mark, but I will eat what I want of the hotdog.

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is that I think we do a great disservice to ourselves by thinking that we're never going to be able to enjoy the foods we once did because this is not generally the case.

While you will certainly need (and likely want) to eat healthier for the surgery to be a success, it's not all  tofu and bean spouts after surgery either.

Wishing you much success!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 163 views