Question for people 5 months + post op

Samantha Lightner
on 8/6/13 5:41 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

I am only 1 week post op, (Down 9lbs) So very happy about that. But scared... What types of meals do you all eat 5 months plus out? I know dense protein, etc. But what are some meals, breakfast's, lunches, snacks you eat every single day? I need as many examples as possible. 

Thanks!

HW-255 SW-234 CW-225

poet_kelly
on 8/6/13 5:44 am - OH

I often have a protein bar for breakfast.  Sometimes a protein shake.  Occasionally eggs.  I'm not very hungry first thing in the morning, so I generally go for quick easy stuff to get some protein in before my blood sugar drops too much.

For lunch I might have some sort of beans, vegetarian chili, a veggie burger, sometimes soup, occasionally a grilled cheese sandwich (or half of one) or half of a six inch veggie sub.

For dinner I have the same kind of thing as lunch, or if I go out to dinner, a Chipotle burrito bowl (just a little brown rice, black beans, peppers and onions, cheese, salsa, and a little guacamole), or a big salad.

For snacks I have a protein shake, or Greek yogurt, or cheese, or leftovers from lunch or dinner, or fresh or frozen fruit, or a frozen fruit bar (I love the Fruitarre bars).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Samantha Lightner
on 8/6/13 6:05 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

Thank you Kelly. That makes me feel better. Besides right now I am so sick of cottage cheese, yogurt, and applesauce I could just die. I feel like I'll never be able to eat anything "good" again. I don't mean go out and order a large fry and a big mac, I mean just food! I want something to EAT :( But I am sticking to the plan until my two weeks are over. Any ideas for soft foods? 

poet_kelly
on 8/6/13 6:29 am - OH

Oh, you'll eat tons of good stuff, if you want to!  The reason I still use protein shakes sometimes is because I like them - it's like an alternative to starbucks for me.  But I eat most things I like, just in moderation, including pizza and cookies.

Soft foods... try ricotta cheese with spaghetti sauce and grated parmesan (not the powdered stuff, real parmesan shreds).  Nuke it 'til hot.  It's like lasagna with no noodles.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/6/13 9:25 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

Oh, you'll eat tons of good stuff, if you want to!  The reason I still use protein shakes sometimes is because I like them - it's like an alternative to starbucks for me.  But I eat most things I like, just in moderation, including pizza and cookies.

Soft foods... try ricotta cheese with spaghetti sauce and grated parmesan (not the powdered stuff, real parmesan shreds).  Nuke it 'til hot.  It's like lasagna with no noodles.

The way I do it is beat an egg into the ricotta, add cooked ground beef and pork and freshly grated parm, put into a casserole. The I  put spaghetti sauce and fresh mozz on top and bake until the cheese is gooey with brown edges. 

Just had this for dinner. I love fauxlasagne!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

cajungirl
on 8/6/13 5:56 am

This will definitely vary amongst people.  Some of my go-to foods are grilled chicken, steak, shrimp, ground beef, eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt.  I also tend to like lots of green leafy veggies to compliment my meal.

Have you checked out the various bariatric food related blogs?  There are LOTS of different ideas.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

chulbert
on 8/6/13 6:04 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

My breakfast almost every morning is muesli, seeds, and fresh fruit topped with just enough soy or almond milk to moisten it.

Last night I made a vegan soy/sausage scramble in Ezekiel wraps.  Or I sometimes make deli turkey rolled up with cheese and avocado then grilled.  The other night I had some homemade turkey meatballs with a positively tiny portion of spaghetti.  I think I eat pretty "normally" now, just healthy.  :)

AnnieD9999
on 8/6/13 6:55 am - Columbus, OH
Ill be 5 months out the 13th. Last night I had rosemary lemon chicken thighs with roasted Asparagus and white wine mushrooms, made a rice casserole for my husband to go with everything. I eat a Greek yogurt almost daily, string cheese for a snack on the go. Carving board chicken from Oscar Meyer, laughing cow cheese wedges and wheat thins, chicken salad made with mostly Greek yogurt and a little mayo, bean dip, filet mignon, shrimp. I haven't had a problem with any food, If you want to message me ill send you some recipes

Findingme2013
on 8/6/13 7:20 am
RNY on 02/04/13

I eat cottage cheese with berries for breakfast or my egg muffins that I make.  For lunch it's always grilled chicken or chicken salad, tuna, grilled fish, and some veggies if I can work them in.  I will eat cheese or greek yogurt for a snack. 

I can eat about anything I want.  I've not had any problem foods at all!!!

65rosesmom
on 8/6/13 8:06 am

I eat relatively normally, just no breads and low sugar.   So today I had a scrambled egg with some cheddar, salsa and avacado for breakfast.   For lunch I had some diced cold chicken, diced tomatoes and a few gluten free, seeded crackers.    For snack I had a handful of nuts and  a quarter of a frozen banana.    I'll be eating a dinner soon of lasagna I made using zucchini instead of pasta with meat (beef and pork), sauce,  and cheese (ricotta).    If I have another snack tonight it will probably be a greek yogurt or a sugar free pudding.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 379 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 345 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 197 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 221 views